Do you take your kids to the fair when it comes to town?

I take my oldest, but leave the baby (1yo) at home.

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 10:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Every year that we are able to (last year we were out of state and missed it). They're just kids for such a short time, and I know the state fair is some of my biggest memories. I love watching them experience all the fun, the animals, the acts, the foods, the exhibits. State (or county) fairs can help them learn to be more connected to the community as well (ex 4Her and 4H Leader here). Both sons were under a year for their first. We took lots of our own snacks that they were familiar with (and were child friendly!) and lots of drinks and changes of clothes etc... If they seemed overwhelmed at anytime we just found a quite spot away from the crowds and had a little rest.
    akmum44

Answer by akmum44 at 4:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I love the fair, but son is still too young to go. Definitely will take him when he gets old enough though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I started taking my son when he was 7 months old, because that was the first fair to come to town. He loved all the people and animals you could pet/feed, and we watched the horse show. The following year he could do 2 of the rides because I could go with him so we added those to the list of fun, and then every year after we've added more and more rides he can do on his own based off height. This past summer at 4 he attended the combine derby which he loved. My daughter is due in July and if its not too hot we'll be taking her this summer at just around 5 weeks old, it'll depend on the heat that day.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yep!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No. I avoid it like the plague because I think it's creepy BUT I know for a kid it's fun. My kids can go with they are grownups!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes we go every year! The kids love it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• not yet
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We used to have a local fair as a fund raiser for high school activities. But they never filed the proper paperwork for the tax free status and the IRS caught up with them and they don't have the fair anymore. It was great because it was walking distance from my house.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:15 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, we've gone every year for the past 13 years as a family. It's so much fun to see the animals and look at the exhibits - plus you can't miss the deep fried Twinkies!

Answer by missanc at 7:43 AM on Feb. 14, 2011