Food Suggestions

I am trying to get my son off of baby food and eating more "real" food. I am having a hard time coming up with things he will eat without spitting it out. He will eat a banana chunk, cottage cheese, yogurt, scrambled eggs, toast, and frozen waffles. When I try fruit he just gets it to the front of his mouth and it ends up sliding down his chin. I am trying to encourge him to eat other things. Also, I am worried about whether or not he is getting enough to eat. When he eats a container of baby food I know how much he has had but with other food, I feel too uncertain. Any suggestions of what to try and how much would be great. Oh, he is almost 14 months and does have at least 12 teeth (I can count because he bites when I try).

kdbug813

Asked by kdbug813 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are doing just fine. It could be the texture or the taste of the food that he doesn't like. Keep offering the food. Soon, he will have quite a repertoire of foods.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You are doing great. Try eating some of the things that you offer him at the same time maybe if he sees you eating them he will get curious and want to. My son was and is a picky eater I just keep offering it and tell him how good it taste. With apples in the beginning i would peel them and cut them in small slices and i would let him and my daughter make messes with the strawberries and the oranges. Just offer simialr things that were in the baby food
    LuiAlexGiGi

Answer by LuiAlexGiGi at 9:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My son loves raviolis. Barilla sells spinach and cheese filled bags for about $4 (this will make about 10 baby-sized meals easily) and you can add any bottled sauce that you like. Also, Ethan LOVES mandrin oranges. Also, Macaroni and cheese is always a hit, as are graham crackers and yogurt puffs (beech nut or gerber).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Experiment - try things you like - and know that kids like but are healthy. Whole wheat spaghetti and sauce work for my 23 month old. Franks and beans (I only buy Hebrew National - less fillers than other brands) and fruits cut up, peanut butter and jelly on whole grain bread - just try everything and see what your child will eat - just make it healthy. Good Luck.
    Myboysmom08

Answer by Myboysmom08 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2008