4 yr old...is this STILL cradle cap?

My 4yr old ds has had cradle cap since he was an infant. Back when he was an infant I did the whole baby oil on the head and scrub it off stuff, and it would come off but not all of it and it always came back. After a while I just gave up figuring it would go away with age. The past few years he's had long hair so you couldn't see it but it was there. Now we've cut his hair short and its easier to see. Any advice or home remedies on how to get rid of this? His hair is a little long on top but I might be able to try oil again. Anyone had a child that cradle cap persisted this long? Could it be something else? I will get a prescription shampoo if all home remedies fail, just looking for cheaper options at this point.

Astraea_79

Asked by Astraea_79 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son had it till he was 10. The thing that worked the best for us was mineral oil. I would put it on on Fri night and cover the pillows with towels. He would wear a baseball cap all weekend and I would was out on Sun. This really helped thru the week. Good luck.,
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Change the shampoo! I suddenly noticed my 5yo had this awhile back and realized it was his shampoo. We treated it with some cradle cap stuff with Winnie the Pooh on the bottle we got in the baby section of Walmart.
    Anonymous

• The best to try selsym blue. I was eve told by a pedwhen dd was 2months with cradle cap. worked great.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ya, it probably is. I used a gentle scrub brush on my kid with oil and it eventually came off...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My son's 3 and still has a mild case I notice every once in a while. His grandfather tried telling me it was psoriasis, but from what I've looked up online, it's just cradle cap. It goes away and comes back. Different shampoo or different diet, I'm not sure: he goes through phases with what he'll eat.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• try supplementing your son's diet with fish oil and a probiotic. also try no soap or shampoo at all.
    if that does not help you could try eliminating dairy.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I found best thing to do is wash everyday, brush ALOT, don't pick at it, that will make it worse. Try to avoid anything that is going to make him sweat more than normal.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 12:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2011