Is this REALLY that bad??? vent

I am a single mom of an almost 5 year old little girl. I go to school full time online and I run an income daycare that is open 24/7. Even though I work very hard to better our lives, we are on food stamps, I get $305 a month for food, and medicaid to make ends meet. So today at the grocery store, I bought, as I always do, healthy foods at the lowest price I can get. My basket was mostly healthy foods: fruits (in seasoned ones) veggies and meats (mostly chicken because it was on sale) milk, cheese, yogurt and things like that. I also bought 1 carton of ice cream and a 2 bags of potato chips for me and my dd. That is our treat, it lasts all week and the ice cream was was $2.50 and the chips were $3.00 buy one get one free (and the second bag will be put away for next week. Anway I went in the checkout line and paid with EBT card and the woman behind me glared at me. She said to the woman behind her as loudly as she could, "you know, I wish people who used food stamps paid with MY tax dollars would at LEAST not buy crap with it." I was about to cry I was so embarressed. I just don't get it, food stamps are so we can buy decent food. If all I was gonna do is have me and my child eat rice and dried beans, I could afford that. I don't use any more money on our food, I feed both of us for about $75 a week, I am not asking for more but as long as I am being reasonable, why can't my child have a thing of ice cream. I buy the cheapest brand of everything and 90% of what I buy is healthy. I am trying to better our lives, that is why I got to school and work full time, I don't plan on using the system forever but while I do need it, I just wish people could not be so judgemental.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, what you did was not bad. I can't believe that people are actually that rude. If it were me, I would have probably turned around and said, "Mind your own business b&$ch", because that's what someone like that deserves to hear.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You shouldnt have to sit here and explain everything on your grocery list. There is no need. who gives a flying F what she thinks. Woman like that are petty and pathetic to even try to make someone feel low. they are people that have no class, but think their sh*t doesnt stink. If you need to have food stamps to make ends meet then, so what...whip out the EBT card and not care who sees it, or what your buying. I would assume you get them because you need them. So who cares. I would have laughed right in her face, and said..."would you like me to buy some of your groceries mam?" I will put someone right back in their place. Dont let it bother you. Shake it off.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• And my question is, how the heck did she know you had a EBT card? And how does she even know what it is. Oh please. Who cares, brush that B*tch off.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• as long as you have a plan to get off of the assistance don't worry about what others say. it'd be different if you were just trying to abuse the system but working a being a student is hard. I know it is hard and my SO brings in most of the money. So I could imagine being a single mom FS would really help and you aren't using them in a bad way. trust me I've seen a lot worse.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• no you are not bad.....people will always judge:(
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with ice cream, and a bag of potatoe chips as a treat. You are teaching your child to eat healthy, but to spluge in moderation. Good for you. Your dd will learn self-control, healthy splurging, and making choices. Feel good about teaching her that! And we ALL splurg, otherwise our kids would loose it and go crazy for junk food when they got the chance!

To myself, if i saw a cart full of nothing but processed junk food, i would be sad for the people, but a few things are normal. Today at the grocery store i bought the one thing my son wanted for a special treat (he only asked for one thing), and i'm not going to feel bad when the rest of the cart is full of healthy foods. You shouldn't either.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No, I don't think that's bad. My BIL made a comment in passing last week to the same effect..."they should only be able to buy vegetables and fruit..." The people who say those things are usually people who are fortunate enough not to need it. DH and I were on WIC for a short time after I had my DS and considered EBT. I was so embarrassed to even think about using it but very good friend of mine made a great point. I've worked hard all my life and paid into the system and would be paying into again when was able, why shouldn't I use it when I need it?
    Caitlin2407

Answer by Caitlin2407 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• U have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. In todays ecomony, there are probably a whole lot of people who has turned to state assistance. I am one myself. Id it wasn't for my daughter, I probably wouldn't have did that. AS for u, u have a child and her intrests always come first and foremost and know that u r raising a child to know its not wrong or something to be ashamed of by asking for help if u need it. If u get tired of people looking at u with contempt, look back ans tell them they didn't have any rib eye on sale this month or T-bone so u had to get damn chicken and hamburger this time. Make sure u say it in a Paris Hilten like way...lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• OMG honey I'm crying for you .. that is just awful. I can't believe people can be so rude. There is nothing wrong with you buying ice cream and chips. Who cares if your buggy wouldve been full of junk food. It's up to you to buy anything you want to buy. Rather its expensive or the cheap brand. I'm so sorry :(
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Don't let judgemental twats like that get to you. Hold your head high!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2011