Babysitters...

I had my baby shower today and everyone brought their kids...total of 11 kids and maybe 20 or so adults. so we set up the kids in the back with a movie and toys and hired 2 girls (sisters) age 17 and 15 to stay with them to keep them busy. The girls were great and did an awesome job. Id say they had about 8 kids at any given time cause some of the kids went back and forth to the parent and back again...the children were 4 and up to 7 execpt mine is 3, and all well behavedchildren. the girls didnt have to deal with potty, snacks or anything and the parents were right down the hall about 10 feet away.  So I asked the older one to set a price ahead of time with the knowledge there would be ten kids and all. She said $10 an hour is what she charges. They stayed 2 hours so I gave them each $20 and she had mentioned to my husband that she didnt know what to expect with 10 kids but they "pretty much took care of themselves and it wasnt so bad"
So my question is, should I give them a little more when i see them next? My husband seems to think so but i figured id ask here to get perspective.

sarlove01

Asked by sarlove01 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• ~*Yes*~... if it were you watching that many kids for 2 hours... wouldn't $20 seem a little low? And I can't speak for others, but when I am just "glad to be done", and I'm being polite... I might have said the same thing and simply "been busy" in the future to keep from being roped in again... Hahahaahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I always over pay my younger sitters whenever I can! They feel appreciated and are more likely to come back! So if you can afford to I would make every effort too.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 11:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I love how MommaClark3 asks if that would feel low to you and you truly have to think about that. What you paid for both of those people to watch 7 kids at a time of those ages is what I make in half a day with a college education watching 10 kids a quarter of the yongest age (except your daughter). I will not pay for a baby sitter because around here they ask for $15 an hour for my 3 kids and I only make $10 an hour as a preschool teacher. I had a mom tell me $10 was more than she was expecting to pay for her kids for a sitter but because of my education and work history she was more willing because she knew I was able to handle any situation that could possibly come up.
    mrssmitley1210

Answer by mrssmitley1210 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• no i dont think that It was her being polite, ive used her before and paid less. I dont think she would have said anything at all if it was really too much she def wouldnt have said what she did if it wasnt true. Also, the parents were there taking care of the kids as well... they simply sat and watched a movie the whole time and made sure they didnt do anything dangerous. None of the children are difficult and mostly sat and played quietly or watched the movie as well. I personally checked on them every 20 minutes and they had no issues. Also 3 other parents were back there every so often and the kids played nice and like i said either played quietly or watched a movie. Like I would have been fine by myself with all of them if I had to, thats how well behaved they are.
    I think i will just ask their mom so that i get the real story and so i dont make them feel awkward if they felt it was not enough
    sarlove01

Comment by sarlove01 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i talked to their mom and let her know that i am willing to pay more if she feels they felt under appreciated. She seemed to think that they enjoyed themselves and felt it was a good experience. so i told their mom i am willing to pay more if need be b/c her girls are awesome and i want to make sure they want to keep working with me.
    sarlove01

Comment by sarlove01 (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• $20 for two hours is pretty good. I'd leave it be. If you want to do anything more, then I'd get them like a $5 gift card to somewhere and put it in a thank you card.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 12:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no u asked before hand and the girl told u what she wanted, id leave it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You are ok. They are the ones that set the price.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think it's enough! I wouldn't worry about it!
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2011