Too young for Valentines Day?

On Saturday as soon as I walked in the door at my brother's house, my 6 year old niece Brooklyn came running at me to show me the valentine a boy in her class sent to her in the mail signed "with love." She is just in K-5, so I was shocked.
How about your kids? Have you ever thought they are too old for the "relationships' they seem to find themselves in?

PhoenixsMommy10

Asked by PhoenixsMommy10 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Holidays

• i agree with all of the above. i see nothing wrong with that. sometimes it's the ones who act perfect we should look out for.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Awe, my son just mailed a girl in his class a valentine and signed it "love maison". He's got a little crush on her and it was a finger painted heart he had made at school. I think its cute at this age, obviously he's not in love, but he thinks she's nice, silly, and pretty, and he begged to mail her a valentine. They're both only 5 and in preschool.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• IMO being boy crazy isn't necessarily all that bad, if there's guidance to go with it. I had crushes in school, my first kiss was in 3rd grade, on the cheek, near the swing set. I still remember that how many years later and it was completely innocent. Growing up I always had more guy friends then girl friends, and although I made mistakes I wasn't sleeping around in school, I never threw myself at guys or constantly dated every man who looked at me. I've had 3 serious relationships in my life, the first I'm still friends with the guy 8 years later, the second I dated for 3.5 years and we had a child together, and the one I'm in now is going on 3 years and a marriage. The important thing for her to have is guidance, to be constantly reminded she's valuable as a person and doesn't need men to dote over her to be successful. In the meantime, let her enjoy the random valentines, they don't necessarily come every year :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• it's been my experience that it's pretty normal to get Valentines like that; I wouldn't worry about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The concern with my neice is that she's going to be like her older sister (she's 14 and has been boy crazy since she figured out that boys and girls are different).
    PhoenixsMommy10

Comment by PhoenixsMommy10 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011