Pain Pills

Are you or have you ever been addicted to pain meds such as vicoden? What's ur thoughts about this increasing trend of "everyday" people becoming dependent on them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Health

• It's amazing to me the lengths people go to get pain meds. 2 or 3 different Drs. with different names and different pharmacies so their not identified. I find it's the oxycontin or oxycodone they want more than the vicodin. Working in a pharmacy it's a little scary what some people are capable of doing. Personally I think drs hand out scripts for pain meds too easily. Most conditions can be treated with otc ibuprophen.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My grandfather was addicted to pain meds. He was actually an alcoholic for a long time and finally stopped drinking and then turned to pain meds. He ended up dying from complications because of all the drinking and meds.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:47 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I agree with the dr.s handing out scripts too often.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It's really quite sad when a patient goes through withdrawals from pain meds. Usually their prescribed Suboxone to help with withdrawls. I feel they should crack down on these dr.s and make them held accountable for contributing to their addiction.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think that doctors should keep track of how often their patients are prescribed a medication that they come dependent on. My FIL that three different pain medications prescribed by doctors at the VA hospital. It's sad. I don't think it should be prescribed unless you really, really need it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't know where these people get these doctors from!! Honestly. I just had knee surgery, and I have to call in for a refill (Vicodin) after every 30; it's a hassle, I know I'll be on them for awhile, why can't they just give me a prescription with a refill? I suppose it's because of the people that do exactly what you say, but I feel like a drug addict when I have to call in.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Vicoden does nothing for me, other than a stomach ache for a few hours. It depends on the person and if they are genetically predisposed to having the euphoria from opiates. And vicoden is being snorted, not ingested. Big difference. Really it's not everyday people becoming addicted, it's the people who were predisposed to any type of substance addiction that this is a problem with. The drug addicts do have to be watched, as are the pharmacies and Dr's prescribing it. The DEA does watch more than people realize and everything is recorded from the paper scripts to the phone calls to the video of patients picking up prescriptions. They eventually will get caught one way or the other.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• why can't they just give me a prescription with a refill?
    **
    math really. each time you refill the days are counted and the pills are counted and they can figure out how many you are taking a day. it also keeps the state off of the dr's backs by not issuing refills on a controlled substance. they actually want it to be an inconvenience for you to get refillls because an addict will jump through hoops to get it, whereas if you really don't need it for pain you wont make the extra call or appointment to get it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Pain pills help but make you a sombie where you cant function. it is only a temp fix.
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011