Do you think it was fair that this church lost its tax exempt status for refusing to have a gay wedding at their property?

Do you think this was fair?

• In New Jersey, a lesbian couple filed a complaint with the state's civil rights office after officials with an oceanfront religious retreat center owned by members of the United Methodist Church refused to allow the two women to use a pavilion for a same-sex civil union ceremony. (Civil unions are legal in the state.) The state last year agreed with the couple and removed the tax-exempt status of the pavilion, located in Ocean Grove.

Why or why not?

Source:

http://www.christianexaminer.com/Articles/Articles%20Nov08/Art_Nov08_16.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• This is simliar to another question:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/72032/Do_you_think_it_was_fair_that_this_photographer_was_sued_and_had_to_pay_6000_in_legal_fees?cat_id=12

(Photographer had to pay $6000 plus her own legal fees for refusing to do a gay wedding)

But I was wondering if you felt differently because it was a church?
    Anonymous

• I had to delete the last question because I was wrong, I saw that the church was forced to allow the wedding when they weren't.
    Anonymous

• I think that should be up to the church. Not the state. And besides there are plenty of pavillions in NJ lol. Im def not against gays but I think that it should be up to anyone to refuse somehting that they dont agree with. Those two woman should have been adults about it and be happy that they can wed at all.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• No, I don't think the state should be able to force any church to marry anyone. It should be up to the church.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Im confused though. Did the church own it?? IF it were just members then even still it should be up to the person who owns the property. Just how you and I can refuse it to go on on our front lawns
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• here's why their tax exempt was revoked: http://hushmoney.org/501c3-facts.htm

"For a 501c3 church to openly speak out, or organize in opposition to, anything that the government declares "legal," even if it is immoral (e.g. abortion, homosexuality, etc.), that church will jeopardize its tax exempt status."

them refusing to allow something that is legal based on their beliefs is why it was revoked.  They are not allowed to dispute the law with their own moral beliefs.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• so yes, totally fair!
    flutterfae

• all it means is that since that church disagrees with the federal government, they now have to pay taxes just like the rest of us.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• the church wasn't forced to marry them, the church just lost it's free pass on paying taxes.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• thanks for the clarification flutterfae. works for me..
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2008