Is it normal...

for my 11 month old baby to be throwing temper tantrums? he's very mean he hits and bites, stomps his feet, throws his self down and he tells me no constantly. he acts so crazy. is this normal? he's been doing this since he was probably 8 or 9 mo old.

Mommy.Of.Two.

Asked by Mommy.Of.Two. at 12:57 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is normal and it just gets worse lol.. The only way to handle this is by letting him know this isnt ok
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• personally i think its just a stage hes going through and it will pass. probably bothers you a lot. make sure you tell your doctor but i know my sister had that at around 2 and the doctor told my mom just catch her before she does anything and tell her its bad to do cause when they are that little they get confused with there emotions. sometimes for attention they do crazy things but just make sure he knows thats very bad only cause hes hurting himself and others eventually he will stop sooooo many children go through that good luck and take care hope all goes well im sure it will.
    Kclw210

Answer by Kclw210 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• This is normal and he is trying to get your attention, but not in a way that you like or approve (Remember he has no "big people words."). Mom, it's now time for you to lay down some ground rules, your baby is not only smart but has learned how to push your buttons. You may first want to check with your pediatrician and let the doc know what's going on, then if baby boy get's a clean bill of health, start pos & neg reinforcement, rewarding the kind of behavior you want to see. Oh, and don't mind his crying, just like you don't like his behavior, he won't like yours, but you are the mom-in-charge. Stand your ground and lay down the law...no spoiled, grumpy, mean babies in this household. Does he pay the mortgage? No.

Well, it's parenting time. Check out the Baby Center [http://www.babycenter.com/toddler-behavior-problems] for ideas and to see what other parents have done. Good luck, I'm praying for you...this too shall pass!
    cookingwdenay

Answer by cookingwdenay at 1:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When my DS started throwing tantrums, I'd isolate him. He would go to his room, which was a safe zone where I didn't have to worry about him getting hurt. When he was really little, I used his pack and play, but as he got older, it was just his room. He didn't like being away from Mommy, so he'd cry and scream himself out, and then calm down. When he was calm, I'd go and get him, and tell him that Mommy put him in his room because he wasn't being a good boy. Sometimes, if I saw the symptoms coming on, I'd distract him from whatever he was doing with a treat or something. A lot of times, tantrums are caused by frustration with a toy, or emotion that cannot be solved without words, or in a way baby is familiar with. Try different approaches. If he's playing with a toy, try to determine what about it could be frustrating, and show your son a different way to play with it. GL! This too shall pass :D
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• probably normal but try not to let him hit.
    ja2010

Answer by ja2010 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• when my son started that I would put him in his room and let him throw his fit in there and he stopped
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2011