There is a strange odor coming from next door...

I'm not quite sure what to think. This is a duplex. It smells to me like paint, but ya never know. You hear about so many meth labs, that I am paranoid now. What would you do? I can't pinpoint the smell to paint, and I only get a whiff once in a while, but it's definitely there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When people are cooking meth the smell is unmistakable, it isn't anything like paint or even chemicals - it's almost sweet. (I leaned that from my kids DARE program :) If it is paint, it can take a few days for the smell to go away, some of the off brands of paint are pretty strong.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You can make a call to the fire dept and ask that it be anon and they'll check it out for you. Better safe than sorry.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, you can call the fire department and report a strange chemical smell coming from next door. Just say that it's concerning you. Also, if it's paint, you should only be smelling it for a day or so until it dries. There's a number of things that it can be but better to be safe than sorry. If they are using meth or running a lab you might have to relocate.
    littlemissmj

Answer by littlemissmj at 1:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• get another opinion
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Call the cops anonymously,tell them it is a really bad odor like drugs.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You can mention it to the landlord also, if you rent :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You could always start a conversations, "So which room are you re-decorating?" If they say they're not decorating you could say "Oh, because I smell the fresh paint, I thought you were re-decorating." Then see how they handle it from there.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Thanks ladies. It's the first time I've smelt anything like this, so I think I will wait until tomorrow and see. If he is painting, it should be gone by tomorrow, right?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• talk to your landlord & tell them you dont want trouble with the neighbors, and you want to remain annoynomous in telling him...but that maybe he should casually stop by & check on something else & see what he thinks
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011