does any one know how to get custody of a sibling?

She currently lives with my birth parents. Currently my birth dad is unemployed and my birth mother is on disability. There house is filthy, they have 10 chickens, 4 dogs, 3 cats, 2 sugar gliders and there house smells horribly. The house has clean and dirty clothes all over the floor mixed together. And rats and roaches. They hit her and pull her by her hair. I feel so bad for her. I called child protective services on them once before when they lived in Florida. The social worker came out one day and told them they had 30 days to clean the place up and she would return. However, she never came back and they have now moved to Kansas. Should I call child protective services in Kansas?

RyansMommy7507

Asked by RyansMommy7507 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• call CPS...doesn't mean you will get custody though...
    Anonymous

• i would do whatever i had to do that just sounds horrible. how old is she could you file some kind of papers for and emergency hearing to see if you could get her is she old enough to tell someone she wants out of there. i would try to contact a lawyer or something and find out what you can do good luck to you and your sibling god bless you
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Here is a little more about me also. I am 20 have been married for almost three years. My hubby is a correctional officer here in colorado, and I am a stay at home mom. I can make sure she gets to and from school and to and from games. I also have a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment. My sons would be able to share a room and she could have her own!
    RyansMommy7507

Answer by RyansMommy7507 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• she is 13
    RyansMommy7507

Answer by RyansMommy7507 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• bump I do not know anything about this kind of stuff, but I am sure another mom does. Please help her out ladies!
    Anonymous

• call a lawyer honey and see what you can find out keep hanging in there and keep fighting for her she knows you love her and will do whatever you can i honestly hope it works out
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• 13 is old enough by court standards to have an imput into where she'd like to be. Take them to court. Before filing papers try to get pictures/video of the house. Invite your sister over for a week during the holidays....do it then. Have HER call CPS from a safe place saying she doesn't want to be there anymore due to the nasty stuff and abuse. Good luck hun!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• 13 IS old enough (at least in Cali) to have a say in where she lives....here the age is 12.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You have to prove that they are unfit parents. You also have to prove that you can do better! Get a lawyer talk to social services. It can be done but, it will be hard!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Update my hubby called CPS and they are going out first thing in the morning to check it out. If all goes well hopefully we will have her here with us soon!
    RyansMommy7507

Answer by RyansMommy7507 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2008