How can I get my children to clean their own bathroom?

I have three children 16boy,14girl, and 8boy. They share their own bathroom upstairs. It is GROSS! I clean it one time a week and Oh My..... I sometimes have to ask if its moving or dead, or the smells? I just dont get it. All of them never take the blame of its your clothes pick them up, there response its not mine. or Someone else put it there.
I need help to find away without screaming how to get them to clean the bathroom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• i know my mom just made us. i mean...i hated it...but i remember her just assigning us different days to do it. one day me, one day my sister, one day my other sister. This worked because we had to clean up each others messes which sucked and made us start picking up after our OWN messes so we wouldn't have to DEEP clean whenever we DID have to clean. Sometimes my sisters would post notes on the door.."It's your day rachael...CLEAN IT" lol You gotta make them work together somehow. This is how my mom did it. And if it wasn't clean when it was one of our days to clean it....whether it was My mess or the other girls...who ever didn't clean it that day was in trouble and couldn't do anything after school etc. So as you can see....we started getting sick of getting in trouble for the other person's mess. get it?? Maybe this helps, maybe not. lol
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 3:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i agree with pp .. dont pick up dirty clothes, when they have nothing clean theyll know why!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:20 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Make a list on what day they have clean. Make a check list of what needs to be clean. Monday through Fridays.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I assigned my children colors of towels and bought 3 of each color (my oldest is orange, middle is blue, third is green) so I KNOW when I see a towel on the floor whose it is! They clean their own bathroom twice weekly on a rotating basis (one cleans the toilet, one does the vanity, and one does the tub - I still do the floor - and it rotates each week). They are only 9, 11 and 13 but handle the responsibility well. They know their chores have to be done before they get to do anything else (except homework).

Answer by missanc at 11:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No other privileges until the bathroom is clean. If you feel like being really nice about it, you could assign each of them a bathroom chore every day, so no one is doing the same thing all the time and none of them has to clean the whole thing either. One could scrub the bowl and wipe the outside of the commode. One could wipe down the sink/counter and mirrors. One could wipe down the tub/shower. One can sweep. One can mop. One can carry the dirty clothes to the laundry room. Put a hamper IN the bathroom to catch the dirty clothes.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I'd put them on a schedule for cleaning it where they each got assigned a week to keep it clean, and I'd take privileges away from the child whose assigned week it was if it was not clean.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• missanc YOU are like super mommy!!! way to fricking GO woman!!!
    mamastyles

Answer by mamastyles at 12:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2011