My DD is still awake...uuuum.

This has recently started since she got sick a couple weeks ago. She wants to be awake aaaaaaaaaaall night now, especially like right now when I'm trying to study and do homework and she always wants something or comes in here and tells me to get out!! I don't even understand why she is fighting sleep so hard! I know she's tired, but I don't know what else I can do to get her to go to sleep. I can't do school during the day because I'm with her, and she hasn't been to school for almost 3 weeks now. Uuuuugh!!!

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 2:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• That's why I'm up tonight DS has a bug and won't sleep. Sorry I'm not much help but I can empithize(sorry to early for spelling).
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 3:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• does she sleep during the day? if so stop her or do more physical activities with her to tire her out
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No she hasn't been sleeping during the day. She's up and playing constantly and fights it until the absolute point she exhausts hersself to sleep. I just think she has her schedule mixed up now since she hardly got any sleep from the bug she had, and I'm always up late doing school.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 4:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Maybe something scared her where she is afraid to go to sleep.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• DD is running the house, is she. You need to evaluate what the bed time process is like. You need to mindful of what time she eats, what she eats and when she drinks and how much of it she drinks. Then you need to make going to bed a pleasant experience, going to bed should never be used as a punishment. You didn't say how hold DD is, but this works for adults too. It needs to parallel getting up: like brushing teeth, combing hair, making sure the room is neat, picking out favorite pjs to sleep in, lights should be dim, soft music helps, nothing exciting, nor loud, a little smooth jazz, nothing with vocals and the crown to it all, the tucking in. Studies have shown that even up thru teenage, children who are "tucked in" (the last thing they see is mom or dad) at night sleep better and are more socially balanced. Let DD pick out the book to read or you read to her. Leave a night light on. Establish the going to bed process.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 5:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2011