How do I get a cat to stop urinating on the carpet?

My cat always urinates on the carpet and it's always the same place. Yes I've tried a dozen tricks but none have worked. Any new ones?z

Nitestalker

Asked by Nitestalker at 2:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Not sure what tricks you've tried, but I could think about the litter box...different litter maybe. Or maybe move an extra cat box on that part of the carpet. Sorry, it's been a while since I've had a pet. One time, my cat didn't like the scent that was on a sheet and would constantly try to change the scent with her own...so what we did was a different detergent...more of a certain smell...-grumbles- Wish I knew what smell the cat hated...don't know if it was just mine or if it's all cats that can't stand the certain smell, but it's an idea to spray that spot with the smell that would keep the cat away...
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 3:20 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If s/he's not neutered, I'd do that. Also, cats may urinate outside of their box as a symptom of a UTI and should be checked by a vet to determine if treatment is needed. if that cat continues to urinate in that spot, try covering it with something. If s/he can't get to it, they'll go elsewhere, hopefully in the box. Does your cat use a litter box at all? And do you have more than one cat? If you have more than one cat, you'll need more than one box. A lot of cats prefer not to share their bathroom area. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• put him outside.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Keep your litter box pristine. Sometimes adding a second litter box somewhere in the house can help too, near where he is being naughty.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, you can try placing it's feeding dishes there for about 2 weeks and see if that changes his/her mind. Be aware that your cat might scout out a new spot in the meantime. You might need to retrain it to use the litterbox, as long as you are sure it isn't medical like UTI.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011