The school tells me they are pretty sure that my 9 year old has aspergers.

Is there anyone out there that has a child with aspergers? Is there anything that I can do to help him learn?

AmberNicoley

Asked by AmberNicoley at 2:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Take him to a doctor and let them diagnose him. The school should never diagnose medical issues. The doctor will have resources for you and help you figure it out.

Big Hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i agree with PP
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:17 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There is alot you can do. Be active. He needs your help and support. find a group of parents that can discuss what is available, what works, and how to get the help from school and dr.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Take him to a doctor for a formal evaluation. Aspergers is a scale; you really need a professional to tell you how to start. Best of luck to you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My 5 year old was diagnosed with Asperger's last year, I agree with everyone else, get a formal diagnosis from doctor/psychiatrist, begin some therapy (ABA/OT/PT) or whatever is recommended, find out where he is on the spectrum and connect with other moms, there are a few great groups here on CafeMom and even on Facebook! Good Luck, keep your head up!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• hun there is a group on here to. my daughter was just tested at 10 for it and we are waiting on the results but the counselors are very sure. she is sensitive to sounds. puts her hands over her ears if she thinks we are to loud, my cell phone ringing can bother her. and other things to. Schools cannot diagnose a doctor / psychiatrist can. Also if you find that your child is diagnosed there is a group that helps outside of facebook and cafemom called taca(http://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/index.php)

WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Thank you all
    AmberNicoley

Comment by AmberNicoley (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2011