How do i get my newborn to sleep alone

my daughter is 2 days old.she wont sleep in her bassinet or any bouncers. as soon as i go to put her in she starts freaking out. im breastfeeding so i cant use a pacifier i need to feed her every 2-3 hours and i cant really let her just cry it out cuz she doesnt have her own room.i was told it is bad for the baby to sleep with you in case you roll over on them or sids and i was told not to swaddle due to sids as well. im soooo tired. what should i do?

proudlilmom0151

Asked by proudlilmom0151 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her sleep on your chest i used to do that when my daughter was a baby i knew she was on top of me so i wouldnt roll over all night or put her on the other side of you away from your husband im pretty sure you will remember she's there i hope this helps :-)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 3:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I breastfed so she was either on top of my chest or in the bassinett beside my bed. When I needed rest, her dad would let her sleep on his chest and he would wake me when she was ready to be fed. I didn't really have a problem with her sleeping in her bassinett. She would sleep at 3 to 4 hour intervals and when she was sleepy I would put her in her basinett and nap when she did. Sometimes I would put her on the other side of me in the bed(we had a big bed and I don't have a tendancy to roll) and we would look into each other's eyes and nap together.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 4:16 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Why not cosleep?  DS REFUSED the bassinet, crib, etc.  Cosleeping CAN be done safely.  Here are some links with good info for you:

Dr. Sears's website

Babyparenting.com

kellymom.com

I hope that helps!

CIO is definitely not a good idea at this age.  Swaddling is safe as long as she's comfortable with it, and you can keep an eye on her.  You don't want loose blankets around her.  Good luck!  Get some sleep, mama!  =)

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Sleeping with your baby REDUCES the instances of sids. The only time you should not sleep with your baby is if you have been taking drugs or alcohol. Now, in the hospital, those beds are very narrow, and the floors very hard so they do not like anyone sharing a bed with their baby, and will tell you anything to keep you from doing it.
    In your arms is THE safest place to be. Just practice safe bed sharing (one of the previous posters gave you some great links, read them!)
    She slept all snuggled in your womb for 9 months, you can not expect her to sleep alone now. And please, even if you did have another room for her, don't let her cry. Just snuggle her, and both of you will sleep. It is the only way I survived those early days.
    Just don't sleep on a sofa, or in a chair with her, thats all.

Look, I know how hard it is, I did it 3 times... but you'll be ok, and so will she. go curl up with her and get some sleep.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Swaddling will only help. The only time it is linked to SIDS is when it causes overheating - so depending on your house temp it may be that all she needs is a onesie tshirt under the blanket. I put all 5 of mine in one piece sleepers and swaddled them and they never seemed overheated. I never coslept with any of my kids. If that's your choice, then go ahead but when I did it I ended up losing more sleep because I was so in tune with every noise, or movement of my babies. I tried to introduce a paci with all of mine - only 2 took it, but it didn't adversely affect nursing with any of them. 2 days old is way too young to let her cry. Keep trying to put her in the bassinet, etc. when she's almost asleep. It takes a while, but eventually she will be so tired she will just fall asleep.

Answer by missanc at 7:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• At this stage, they're not programmed to sleep alone. You're right... no CIO. Not before six months at the EARLIEST.

Co-sleeping can be the safest sleeping WHEN DONE RIGHT. You've been given info on how-to.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Co-sleeping is not the danger it is made out to be when it is done right! Swaddling well will save you a lot of trouble and make your baby feel safe and cozy! And "wearing" your baby is a nice addition to both that can eliminate a lot of stress from both your lives as well! The links above are great resources!!!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i sleep with my babies. i get more sleep that way. they can actually eat while you sleep. you simply have to roll over every other hour or so! a newborn baby is soooo much stronger than we give them credit for. a mothers arms is the best place for a newborn baby. when i had my twins i had to kick my husband out of the bed for a while, until we had a system worked out.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My first was the same way. Only answer was co-sleeping (which I swore we'd never do!). Ended up loving it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Here is an article 5 Simple Ways To Settle A Newborn Baby I hope it helps!

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011