Should I be on bedrest?

I am 29wks 6 days. At 28 weeks, I had a vaginal ultrasound and it showed my cervix is shortening at 2.3 cm. My OB did put me on work restrictions. I work 4 days a week about 33hrs total as a dental hygienist. Not a bad job, hard on back and a lot of up and down, and keeping to a demanding schedule of 8-12 patients a day. I have to have a 2hr lunch in middle of my day. At 29wks. I was having a lot of back, side and abdominal pain. It was tough to conceintrate on job and I was miserable. Called my OB, and the midwife requested I come in. She checked me and I was 1cm dialated. I did have negative fFN test that day and negative urine culture. She put me on bedres for the weekend till today when I could see my OB. She also had me put on Celestron (steriod for baby's lungs). My OB sees nothing wrong and said to go back to work as normal. He basically said to suck it up I was just having regular preg. pains.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• limit activity and bed rest are 2 different things...

I wasn't allowed to stand for long periods of time, life anything over 5 lbs... made grocery shopping a big PITA :)

I wouldn't say you needed full bed rest but definitely take it easy!
    Anonymous

• wow what an azz u should definatally be on bed rest!! relax
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had to plead with my doc to put me on bedrest at 32 weeks. My job was long hours on my feet with a 2 hour commute pregnant with twins. My office's midwife let me get off work as soon as I asked. The next weekend I was in the hospital for pre-term labor. My dr. did not know I was his office patient when he was on rounds during my stay at L&D. Drs can be jerks.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I am trying to take it easy, but with full time job and two small children it can be hard. The only manditory thing my DR did was to make sure I had a two hour break in middle of my day, which I eat lunch and take it easy. My Dr. is kind of giving me bad vibes this pregnancy. He was my DR for my first two and I had much respect at this time. On the other case, this pregnancy, I have to see him multiple times to get a reaction. I was really sick at begining of preg. and kept thinking my sugar was out of wack, my whole body was out of wack. It took to visits for him to listen get me tested and agree that yes I was experiencing gestational diabetes. I feel as if I am a pain in his but. My first two pregnancies were good and worries free.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Is there any way you can switch doctors? It is so rotten to feel like your doctor doesn't give a crap!

Even if you can't necessarily switch doctors right now, maybe you could get a second opinion? Because I think it sounds like you should at least be on partial bedrest, or a VERY reduced work schedule. That's early to be dilating.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Ummm, I would seek another opnion. Not to scare you but I want to share what happened to me. Much like you I went in for a routine US and they did a transvaginal and discovered my cervix was short and I too was dialated 1 cmm. At the time I was 19 weeks along, they performed a cerlauge and the way it was explained to me it was a very neccessary procedure. I was then put on full bed rest for 4 weeks and partial bed rest the past 2 weeks. Please seek another opioion and best of luck to you and the baby.

Bolman

Answer by Bolman at 9:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2008