7 yr old refuses to go poop on the toilet

Ive tried rewards, Ive tried taking away toys, Ive tried setting him on the toilet but he screams like he is scared what do I do?

Anjelladolly

Asked by Anjelladolly at 8:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he ever used the toilet? Maybe he's been constipated and it scares him? I dunno. Maybe you should call his doctor and ask them what they suggest.
    mykidsmommy

Answer by mykidsmommy at 9:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Sounds like it could be a bit of Encoprosis. My grilfriends child had it...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/104044.html
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Is this a new thing? Where's he been pooping for the past 4 years?

He could be scared because it hurts. Make sure that he is drinking plenty of water and eating fiber. The water will help loosen the stools and require less pushing, which can be painful, both on the inside and the outside. A little fruit juice should also aid in loosening the stool.

If this has been going on for more than a few days I would definitely contact the doctor's office just to be on the safe side.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My son had this when younger, in the end we took him to the doctors and they talked to him but he still refused to go. At one point it was so bad when he refused to go that we had to give him an enema and we were given a few home ones to keep, this was the first step to him getting better with it (as he didn't want another one!), before the enema we tried presents, as much fibre as possible, lots of fruit juice, sitting on the toilet with him for hours while reading books and just hoping that he would go at some point, or that it would be too hard not to go. Massaging the bottom of his thumb and rubbing his back while he was on the toilet, normally used for constipation but worked a few times as he was more relaxed. Seriously good luck with this, I know how frustrating it can be :)
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 12:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008