Agree/disagree question...

“No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means.” (George Bernard Shaw)

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Of course. You can find almost any point of view can be ' justified ' by a biblical quote .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• agree

Answer by older at 7:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Not everyone tries to force the Bible to support their own opinions. There are those who actually do try to dig deeper to get a better understanding of what its really trying to say. But, in the end, all we can do is go off of our best understanding, which will never be perfect.

I do agree, though, that it is written by man and thus contains man's bias/distortions, but I do believe that it contains/reveals truth. Its faith/God/life/humanity/etc the way THEY saw it, and while it may not be absolutely perfect, its a start...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• That is true, generally speaking. There are those whoever who do not distort the Bible for fleshy reasons. It's when the Bible's words are distorted for their own agendas that it becomes more of a " what I say " issue. The bible is the only book, some say, that speaks directly to mankind. I believe that, with much education and study in the word it can be used correctly. It is true, mankind has and will distort it for their own promotion till the end of time.
    Nothing new here.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:09 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Agree.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Obby; I agree with you as well. The bible was written by man, and man by his very nature relays information colored by his own experiences and perspective. To believers, this isn't an issue as they believe a divine hand guided the written word, to non-believers it is a bone of contention. Again, perspective.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If I had to pick between simply agree or disagree- I would select agree- that is what makes the Bible so wonderful and powerful-it is a text that speaks to so many on so many different levels- I find it beautiful that so many can pull strength and clarity from one book. Of course with an upside-there is always a downside- those that use it against someone else-but that still does not diminish the power and beauty of the Bible.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I agree

I find it fascinating to read the answers to 'favorite Bible verse' questions, and I always think it says a lot about the person which ones they select as their favorite. You can use the Bible to back up a lot of different claims by interpreting things in different ways. I think you can use verses in the Bible to back up claims of loving and not judging others, but then I also see other people use it as a tool for hate and discrimination (which is very unfortunate IMO). Personally, I feel if you read any sacred text and cling too closely to literalism, you may miss some of the most important messages and universal truths within it. I don't think sacred texts really 'teach' us anything, but they can make us think and help guide us to find wisdom, peace, and love within ourselves.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I disagree, simply because of the absoluteness of the statement. Many of us strive very hard to take the Bible at its word, at face-value, so to speak. We go back to the root languages; we learn the circumstances under which the various texts were written; we study the secular history that was occurring when the texts were written. And we also strive to live by the tenets given as they are without spinning them to our feelings our wishes. It's challenging, but it's also rewarding. I do firmly believe in Heaven, but even if I'm wrong (and I don't think I am), I am a better person than I would have been for living the way I live.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I was wondering how long it would take for this one to pop up... since you already know how I feel. I'll leave it be. For now.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2011