What Do You Think When You See a Woman "Done Up" at the Grocery?

I'm a SAHM. Most mornings I'm up before DH, getting showered and ready for the day (makeup and hair included). In my old community, I actually got snarky comments (I was there picking up more than food, what was I trying to prove, etc.) from other women at the grocery store. In my new community, most of the ladies I see at the store during the day are like me; some are even wearing heels. (Which I would do if I didn't have knee issues at the moment.)

Just curious about your thoughts? I try not to judge others based on their appearance, but personally I like looking my best. Just because I'm a SAHM doesn't mean that I should look like a slob. My DH appreciates it, sometimes he'll bring his colleagues over for lunch, they're impressed not only with my cooking, but that he has a wife that takes care of herself as much as the house and kids (I have 3, including a toddler).

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:25 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I have the same opinion as you, why should you look like a slob?? Is that going to make you feel good about yourself??? I have 4 year old twins, my mornings are hectic, yet I make an effort everyday. I've seen Mothers be like that aswell, and they'd say "where do u get the time" It take me five mins to get dressed & less then that to put on my make-up. I leave the house feeling good and ready for the day ahead. It is tough being a SAHM but a few minutes out of our busy schedule for a little "me" time is well entitled.. My mother always told me, always make an effort and you will feel so much better.
    These women are just jealous because they cannot be bothered to make an effort, I would be surpirsed if the majority of them suffered from a little depression, if I did that every day I would be depressed. Chin up, you are a wonderful mother who takes pride in her appearance and dont let anyone make you feel otherwise :) x
    neady

Answer by neady at 9:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Honestly I think nothing of seeing a person, SAHM or otherwise, dressed nicely at the store. I mean, really, you don't know where they are going afterwards or where they've just come from. I will go to the store after a family dinner dressed in Sunday best on occasion, and sometimes when I'm sick, it's sweats and an over-sized shirt. Sometimes I feel like the only person on the planet that doesn't really notice or care what other people are wearing or how they're dressed.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think it is great they take the time to look good, wherever they go.

Answer by older at 8:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I always think she is someone who really takes care of herself and always wants to look her personal best..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't really think anything. I'm guessing you were in a small area for women to be that catty. If you're happy with what you're doing, screw the others.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i am also that way. There are no dress codes at my job but i still feel like i will get farther with management if i dress nice. One day I'll be a teacher and not have to be grossed out by co workers not showering and my boss showing up in sweats
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 8:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I do not wear makeup, simply can't stand the stuff and feel silly wearing it. However, I will not leave the house unless I am dressed appropriately. You never know who you are going to run into, and first impressions are lasting impressions. By no means do I consider nice jeans a decent top & dress sandals "done up", but in comparison to some of the sahms I've met, who believe that lounge clothing should be standard attire... well, i can see how they would feel threatened, or jealous.
    I find it incredibly lazy not to get out of bed and dress yourself every day, even if you don't feel well. It is lazy. Lazy is as lazy does, and people wonder why their children aren't motivated.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i don't pay that much attention to others. Now if i see a woman in heels and business looking dress suits i assume she must have just gotten off work
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I just figure she either just went to work or is about to go to work.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• there are pleny of days i stay at home in my pjs...i am far from lazy.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2011