You could be Speaker of the House!

Today is running a fluff story on the "lost art of love letter writing", and Jenna Bush was the correspondent. She interviewed grandparents from both sides and had them reading letters they sent to each other during WWII and beyond.

Towards the end, George HW was reading a letter from one of their anniversaries, and started choking up, which then got Jenna tearing up, and through the sniffling, Barbara (that's former first lady, not former party girl) decides to break the mood by proclaiming: You could be Speaker of the House!

This reminds me why I prefer her to her husband. Are there first ladies you'd have rather kept around and had their husband take a hike?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not really, but I prefer H.W. to Barbara

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I loved Barbara Bush and Nancy Reagan, Jackie O as well. I thought they represented our country well with their grace and charm, not to mention intelligence.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There have been wonderful first ladies that I'd love to see in that position again. Laura and Barbara were total class. I think our current first lady is a true lady, even if her husband isn't always so great.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• LOL I had to read that twice. I don't think it was funny but it's her opinion. She reminds me of the typical older individual, saying whatever comes to mind. She never was PC and that's ok.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Almost all of them, lol! They are much easier to like than the prez, they are more free to speak their minds, and of course the First Lady almost always takes on a popular cause to work on.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

•  

I loved Barbara Bush and Nancy Reagan, Jackie O as well. I thought they represented our country well with their grace and charm, not to mention intelligence.

Nancy was a bit of a nutter butter to me..and while Jackie O was an interesting woman...eh..not really for me..now Eleanor Roosevelt & Betty Ford I think they are inspirational women
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:50 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think it was funny. I don't begrudge Boehner for the tears, but honestly, it's not real surprising that people joke about it. I mean, Pelosi got plenty of plastic surgery jokes thrown around when her name was mentioned. As for her lightening the mood, I think some of the best relationships have a strange balance that might not be obvious to everyone else, but maybe this is her balancing her DH? IDK. I won't begrudge her a little PC free joke.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Are there first ladies you'd have rather kept around and had their husband take a hike?

Personally, I don't care about the First Ladies... They don't impact policy.... My concern are the spending of First families... I think they should be given a cap on spending for trips, parties, etc.... After they spend the taxpayer funded cap, they are on their own on travels, etc...  I would love to see a first family live within a REAL budget to set an example for the Americans who follow them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011