Can anyone help me make any sense of this?

How is setting a record budget going to reduce the deficit?

Isnt' that a bit like borrowing money on your credit card to pay your bill?

I have yet to hear a real example of how spending massive amounts of money when you have NO money to begin with, actually makes money?  It makes absolutely no sense (common or otherwise) to me. 

So seeing that number, my question is does he just not get it?  Or do I just not get it?  I mean, we have been setting record spending since he got in office and it really hasn't done what they promised.  I'm thinking this is just more of the same. 

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• To the poster above....the govt is not a business....throwing money into turle tunnels and down marsh mouse holes will never reap a reward that your advertising will. Would it help your business if you $25,000 on Louis Vuitton handbags?? I'm not bashing you or trying to be snarky..I am just giving you a different perspective. :)

I ddin't expect BO to have a clue about budgeting..he was a community organizer not a businessman. I just hope his reign ends before the country does.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Of course Obamas budget will have mostly spending in it and all of it is more of the same. Democrats don't make sense so don't try.
    It's all money we don't have.
    What I see that I like is the Republicans wanting to cut 100 programs, hopefully ones Obama invented in the last 2 years. I want to see more though.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Bush used emergency spending for the wars but they are certainly included on the record books. Obama still has outspent him in record amounts.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Are we looking to the past again to deflect from the inadequacies of our current jackass in chief.?

Oy..........the spending on all levels has got to stop. Many will be shocked when it finally happens at just how dependent they were on a government. Sadly, Obama only ever knew how to spend then tax, we knew this 5 years ago.

the war discussion is moot, we are going to be paying for war for a long time. IMO the defense budget should be funded first, then everything else. if and when we get bombed again, there will be NO economy at all to argue about.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Sweet, why do you constantly bash money spent on defense? It is one of the few expenditures allowed by the Constitution. I agree with JJB, defense should be first and foremost.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The wars were put in the defense dept budget as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The new spending = 'investments'. He will use the term 'investments' to make the repubs look like they aren't interested in 'investing' in our country. Just more of the 'same ole' same ole'. Nothing has changed and he is no Reagan.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When there is no money, you do not spend. This is why I think that we need to boot out everyone in Congress who has never taken an accounting class or run a business or personally dealt with family finances. Those people do not understand. You prioritize. When you are out of money, you stop spending. You don't borrow just to buy stuff you don't need.

Utterly ridiculous.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

Answer by Carpy 9 hours ago

Well, Carpy, he had to pay all those people he'd promised to pay for voting for him some how! Of course he outspent Bush!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Your current President ADDED the WARS to the BOOKS...something the previosu admin did NOT do....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2011