How do I act normal, sleep properly at night and stop living my life in fear?

I have a daughter that turned 3 years old on the 11 November 2010. On the(03/02/2011) early hours of the morning my daughter had a convulsion which was caused due to a high fever which started at about 01:00 the morning. When she had the convulsion I called my father (babies grandfather) for help and as we ran out of the house to take her to hospital she stopped breathing. Her eyes rolled backwards and all we saw was the white part of her eye’s and we were no longer looking at her big brown eye’s. My father immediately started doing CPR on her and eventually got her to start breathing again and we immediately rushed to hospital.

She was admitted and stayed for a few days yet the doctors could not pin point the exact cause of her not breathing yet they could only tell me that the convulsion was caused by her high fever. The doctors can’t confirm what I should do should the convulsions continue either.

I came back to work on the (07/02/2011) and could not hold back my tears when I was asked what happened and if my daughter is okay. That was the first time I spoke to someone about it since it happened and I could not even finish talking about it, the tears just kept rolling my face. Every since it happened I have been having problems concentrating at work, sleeping at night, just the thought of her eye’s rolling back is a picture embedded in my memory forever and it will not go away. A few years ago I was also sent on a first aid course and when everything happened I froze and couldn’t stop screaming, I couldn’t even save my own daughter and this scares me also. I can’t sleep at night because I constantly want to feel her stomach to know that she is breathing and that she is okay.

Cegenetra

Asked by Cegenetra at 9:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Your reaction was normal. We quite often freeze when it comes to things happening to our own children.

If this continues much longer, find a professional that you can talk to.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i would imagine that after time you will be able to sleep better, and then function better. i can't imagine being able to sleep after something like that.
    had your daughter recently been vaccinated, undergone any surgical procedure, given medicine, been to the dentist...is there any possible chemical she might have been exposed to days before her not being able to breathe?
    have you been to a neurologist?
    i would start taking her to a chiropractor for sure.
    i would also eliminate cleaners in the home, and just clean with baking soda and vinegar.
    i truly wish you the best, and i wish the best of health for your daughter too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You may have PTSD...Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. You are paralyzed by fear and need professional help to deal with it. Your daugter had the seizure because her fever spiked quickly, she probably stopped breathing because of the seizure. That is what happened to my cousin when she had febrile seizures. There isn't anything that can be done for febrile seizures and she should outgrow them by the time she is 5 or 6. Febrile seizures do NOT cause any damage to the child and do not hurt them. Next time she has one, CALL 911, do NOT take her to the ER on your own. Your daughters doctor should have explained more about febrile seizures to you and what to watch for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011