Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back Child Support

My ex-husband did not pay any child support for nearly a year. He has since started working and paying again. He was over $3600 dollars in the hole. I spoke to him recently, and he told me that the IRS took his entire income tax refund for back child support. My question is, will that be sent to his kids, or will the State keep that? The kids are on Medicaid, but we have not used it since we cannot find a doctor around here that will take it. We live in Ohio, and he is in Pennsylvania.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • i think the way its works is if your on any kind of aid it goes to the county/state first .......then the remainder comes to you....(i live in CA and this is how it works here , my kids are on med-cal here and this is what they do to the ex's taxes every year).....

    Answer by cara124 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • Each state might be different. Because I thought I read here in florida they take part if you recieve cash assistance.

    Answer by princesschilly at 9:50 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • If you receive CASH assistance they take part of it. If it is paid through the Court they will take out their fees and send you the rest.

    Answer by treynlisa at 9:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • If the state requires the father to pay part of the medical bills they might keep part of it but not all of it. You can call your state's child support enforcement dept and ask them.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I think the state can keep the refund for back CS, but I don't think the IRS keeps the refund. The IRS is very specific about what they can keep and generally it is federal stuff only. Go to the IRS and your state website there is usually a FAQ's section that can usually tell you this to a degree.

    Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • i have kinda the same issue accept that in arizona you don't pay back for health care you recieved but for any cash asistance you may of gotten which i did about 15k worth. so they have been keeping half of his child support from me and now that it's tax season my ex husabnd says that his housing credit should come to me but i found that my state will be taking it from us to repay themselves back. i owe them 7,920 and he will get 8 k for that tax credit so i would get the difference of $80. wow! well at least now that that has been repaid i should start recieveing all of my child support for now on. i wouldn't count on getting that money if the state can get money from any source they most likely will.

    Answer by melody77 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.