can a six month old have albuterol and how often

he has adry cough

xoch4

Asked by xoch4 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Health

• well, the doctor would prescribe it if he needs it and will tell you the dosage. Don't just give kids meds because you think they might need them.
    Anonymous

• yeah they can but at specific dose. i would talk to your dr about nebular treatments, but those are usually given for RSV or pneumonia at that age. don't give it because you thinks he needs it. it doesn't help coughing, just open airways to breath better. there isnt much you can do for coughing at this age. i would try a humidifier or vaporizer before anything else.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• umm i don't mean to be mean, but that is a question for a doctor, NOT cafemom.
    Anonymous

• talk to your doctor. I talked to my uncle who is a respiratory therapist about this. My son who is going on 16 months has allergy problems. A friend offered for my son to use the albuterol. So I asked my uncle. He said NO and to talk to his doctor 1st. So that coming from someone who has a degree in breathing I listened to him.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• my son took it for a cold in his chest. the doctor prescribed it for him and told me how much to give him. dont give it to him unless it was prescribed by your doctor. they can only take it three times a day and very small amounts.
    Anonymous

• Yes he can, BUT you need to get the doctors ok and to get the right dosages, For a DRY cough the baby needs a humidifier. Albuterol helps with the congested sort of cough. Talk to your baby's pediatrician.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If it is prescribed by a doctor then they will give you instructions on how much albuterol liquid to give the baby based on the baby's weight. Do NOT try to self medicate your baby, it is dangerous and could be deadly.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2008