What do you think of the "Time Out Pad" or those "time out spots (rugs)"?

I thought it was a cute concept, but I don't know if I would use them. I like that the rug is portable. & I don't watch t.v. (nanny 911) so I had no idea the time out stuff has been in use for a while. :D When my daughter is in time out she rarely wanders off, so I don't think I'll really need something like this. I'm also pretty sure my daughter would get up just to make it go off depending on how loud it was or how it lit up...but i still think it's a neat upgrade on an age old parenting tactic.

check it out--> http://www.parenting.com/blogs/show-and-tell/use-it-or-lose-it-time-out-pad

would you use one?

r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Asked by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:43 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I must say I never used either, although I don't know if they were around when my kids were little. For me we used time outs and it was just a space in the house. My kids knew what to do and if they got out I put them back. I personally think that things like this are just there to get parents to buy something else that they don't really need. I mean you only put your kids in time out for a short period of time.

That is just me. As always I think every parent is going to do what they think is best.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Just a chair would work. Kids would get up just to see what would happen.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Never heard of it. We use a corner. Makes it real easy for the kid to know where they are supposed to be. When they are little they have to stay in the corner area but by 5 they are expected to stand there with their toes and noses touching the wall. I tried a chair and all they did was play and make faces at each other and it wasn't much of a punishment. They didn't even care if they went in the "naughty chair" (they dubbed it that not me) but when I started doing corners...that made a difference. All I had to tell them was, "you will go in the corner," and they'd do exactly what they were told. They hate getting sent to the corner. They were 6, 5 and 4 when I started and are now 10, 9, 8 and almost 5.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011