Is this punishment wrong?

My daughter is 9 years old and tonight she had a temper tantrum beyond belief. Above all things, the tantrum was about washing her face. She got so out of control that her father decided as a punishment to not allow her to read any leisure books. Does that seem wrong to you? It seems that something educational should not be used as a punishment. What do you think?

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'd take away all leisure activities...not just books...

yes reading is educational but reading fiction is not a requirement for growing up intelligent. It won't hurt her to go with out her fiction for a day or few.
    Anonymous

• I think that if it is what she really enjoys, then it is a fair punishment. "Leisure" Books are not the same as educational books, and she will get her education from school for the time being until her punishment is over.

Seems right on to me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well...there are worse things you could do to your kids I guess.

My mom always made me stay in my room until my tantrum was done and we do the same thing with our kids. It seems to work just not to acknowledge it. They are after all just trying to get attention when they act like that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I agree, I would cut out tv or internet or talking to friends on the phone or socializing of any kind! I love it when my kids are grounded from watching tv and decide to read a book!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I don't think I would take away books but I would take away everything else!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• She does not care about TV, her Nintendo DS etc. The only thing that seems to get her attention is books.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 9:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• That is what my mom would take from me. Like your daughter, that is what got my attention. It worked for me, most of the time anyway.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• If that is what she truly values, then I don't think its horrible to take it away for a few days (nothing extended) as long as she is able to do her homework and such.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I am an avid reader..always have been. I used to get notes home from teachers for reading in class instead of starting the homework. My HW always got done..but there was never that blissful quiet at home...LOL. Mom taking my books was like torture for me. It dropped my butt in line PDQ.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Personally anything pertaining to education, that includes leisure books shouldn't be used as a tool for punishments. It can make them uninterested in learning or using their time constructively. Instead of taking away the book I would maybe take away the TV,video games or playing in the park...BUT not reading. It is sending the wrong message.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 2:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2008