Do republicans allow the perception that Obama was not born here, so as to delegitimize him?

WASHINGTON – House Speaker John Boehner says Americans have a right to think what they want to think, even when they're wrong about President Barack Obama's citizenship and his religion.

Some people believe that Obama, a native of Hawaii, was actually born outside the U.S. or in some other way is not a natural-born citizen eligible to be president. There is also a persistent belief among some that Obama, a Christian, is actually a Muslim.

When the host of NBC's "Meet the Press" asked Boehner whether he, as speaker of the House, had a responsibility to "stand up to that kind of ignorance," Boehner told David Gregory: "It's not my job to tell the American people what to think. Our job in Washington is to listen to the American people."

Boehner continued: "Having said that, the state of Hawaii has said that he was born there. That's good enough for me. The president says he's a Christian. I accept him at his word." He later called those "the facts" of Obama's background.

Gregory asked, "But that kind of ignorance, about whether he's a Muslim, doesn't concern you?"

"The American people have the right to think what they want to think," Boehner replied. "I can't — it's not my job to tell them."

Boehner denied that he is willing to let those misperceptions remain because they weaken and delegitimize Obama.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Lori - wait no more...

If you are in a position such as Boehner you should take this opportunity and tell the people enough already! Stop acting so ignorant! But no, he took the cowards road with "I believe the truth but my followers don't have to".  Doesn't say much about the Fox/Conservative party now does it??

Also, the fact Boehner's FOLLOWERS ARE TOO STUPID TO ACCEPT THE TRUTH, even with Boehner believing it himself. Normal people would put an end to all the FALSE ACCUSATIONS, instead HE KNOWS HE CAN'T - THEY ARE BRAINWASHED IDIOTS.. I laughed at him squirming in this interview....  He's a puppet doing what his "audience" wants...

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• "It's not my job to tell the American people what to think. Our job in Washington is to listen to the American people."~John Boehner

I agree with this..... Op, you may be ok with Nancy Pelosi, Barney Franks, Harry Reid, et al TELLING you what to beleive.... I prefer politicians who LISTEN....  your generalizing headliner is humorous, naive, simple minded,.....  I could go on, but I think the point has been made...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I must have missed that part, link to when the Republicans got a mind control machine to "allow" anyone to perceive anything?

LOL, I think I missed it too. Sweet must think the republicans work like liberal/progressives.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• IDK. His inexperience is his biggest legitimacy issue for me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• obama allows the controversy to continue so that those who are outspoken about it will look crazy. He's using it to his advantage.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• At one time 13% of Americans believed Elvis was still alive. Crazy knows no logic. And no amount of convincing from either Republicans or Democrats will sway the crazies on the matter of Obama. Boehner said his piece and moved on, which was exactly what he should have done. Oh, and the stat that the majority of the Rep. party are birthers is more than a bit inflated, even by HuffPo standards.
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No, Obama does though...by spending millions to keep his info under wraps. There are some legitimate questions about his history and there is obviously something they consider a problem or they wouldn't spend so much to keep so many dif records out of sight.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• BTW, no one "recruited me." I was over promoting my blog and stopped in here. I keep doing it less and less because of this petty bullshit that goes on here. Used to have good, thought provoking conversations. Now you can't come on here without everything degrading into people calling each other names and liars.

As per usual, I weighed in. Sweet, imho you took the first blow with this one. 50% of Pubs don't believe that...it's a crappy poll, with crappy numbers and you stretched it. Whether or not you did on purpose, only you know that.

No one recruited anyone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• With the amount of attemts and death threats the POTUS gets..I expect that when they are AKSED, that they ANSWER TRUTHFYLLY...not FUEL the LYING fires

________________
    This HAS been answered. The best way to quash a rumor is to HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH it. Not dignify it. If dems stopped talking about it, too, it would burn itself out eventually.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• So what your saying is, the death threat thing isn't really relevant to the recent interview? So why are we talking about it?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011