Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

The court decided to drop my child support payments to zero.

When will I stop receiving the money, which is currently direct deposited. The court date was 1/10/2011.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (13)
  • Why would they drop it to Zero? Did they give a stop date?

    Answer by treynlisa at 10:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • You should call whomever would be in charge of putting that into the system.

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • It will stop the day the order was signed or heard. So he will owe you whatever he owed as of your court date, so probably one week of child support (if he hasnt already paid that). Any other payments sent in will be sent back to him. If they send you anything after that you may be asked to repay it.

    Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • How on earth is that possible? The children still have to eat and have a roof over their heads. My x doesn't claim an income and he still has to pay.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:15 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • Why did they drop it to zero?

    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • They dropped it to zero because he's on SSI and supposedly it's a "need based grant" and HE needs to money more than our son. Mind you this a$$hole is almost $40k in arrears. The system is nauseating. They made him pay for 18 months, then they stopped it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • If your husband is on SSI, then SSI should be paying your son as well. I would look into it! My ex is trying to get SSI too and that's what the Judge told me - that he would no longer be required to pay child support, but that my kids would get their money directly from SSI. Did he tell SSI that he had a child when he applied? You should already be getting it.

    Answer by missanc at 10:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • Wow, my mom has been fighting to get her arrears for 20 years now...and my dad always find the loop holes in the system! He should still have to pay what is past due, even if he doesnt have to continue further payments! They cant just erase the past!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I called SSI and since he never worked more than a few months in his life he hasn't paid enough into it for my son to get anything. That's what I was told.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I think he will still have to pay what he owes you in back child support, if he is on disability, I think you might be able to get SS for your child, I would speak to a lawyer, asap!

    Answer by kimigogo at 10:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Back Child Support

Next question overall (Relationships)
Wonderful Husbands