Just out of curiosity...a "what do YOU think" kind of question. About the USPS.

I've seen a lot of thougts on this subject here, and now I'm wondering. How do you think the USPS is able to run, do you think they get government/tax-payer money, or do you think they are self-funded, or what are your thoughts? Like I said, I'm just curious what people think. Please bump for maximum veiwage & plenty of opinions, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I just saw something the other day that said they are not funded by the government or tax dollars but that they are funded entirely by what consumers pay for stamps and shipping. I don't know...I think they're going a bit the way of the dinosaur, but I think it's a long time before they are completely defunct. They just need to evolve - or devolve, however you want to look at it - and they'll still serve their purpose without continuing to drive up their prices and drive away their customers more and more.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• They are self funded using the money people spend on delivery of mail and shipping costs.

Answer by gemgem at 10:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• self-funded.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Self-funded, that's why they charge so much for postage and shipping, they have bills and employees to pay.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• While it is self-funded, it has been taking out loans from the federal government. It is the 2nd largest civilian employer, the 1st being the scourge Wal-Mart.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I should add, DH and I are both employed by the USPS. So I'll come back later with the truth ;).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Government-run. I don't see how they could run otherwise, but that's just me.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• They are self funded.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It is a self-funded government-run agency.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• They are not taxpayer funded but they do take out loans from the US Treasury to cover deficits they have every year.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 1:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2011