my son just turned 1 I am wanting to start potty training him but i do not know where to start how to go about it or maybe he is too young I want him out of diapers well before he is two if that is possible. Please help me

I am a stay at home mom so i am up for trying anything

garricksmommy

Asked by garricksmommy at 9:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well you're brave because i just potty trained my daughter shes 2. I actually had to do it because we were in a really hard time with no money. I just talked to her and explained that she needed to tell me when she needed to go. She showed interest in the bathroom too (she has an older brother 4 that goes all the time) I just continued taking her every 30min to the bathroom and sat her down and talked to her and when she went i would praise her and tell her i was very proud. so ever since then she goes to the potty. There will be a few accidents so be prepared. I started in less then 3wks and now she does a great job....
    LuiAlexGiGi

Answer by LuiAlexGiGi at 9:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• He is too young. Regardless of you wanting him out of diapers before he is two, he will potty train when he is ready and able to understand the process. Usually around two is when they are interested. Next summer when it is warm let him run around naked a little bit so he makes the connection between where the potty comes from and where it needs to go.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yea i agree...He is way too young. You could introduce the potty i guess, but he still might think its a play toy. You really should wait till he is closer to 2 then right now.

my daughter is 27 months old and we started when she turned 2. She has started regress from it. Now she wants nothing to do with it. Maybe because we have another baby on the way. Anyways, she knows what its for and when she tells me she has to go we go even if its too late.

So please wait for your son's que when he is ready. which probably wont be for a while.
    Anonymous

• At 1 they do not know when they have to go potty. They know after the fact but they do not put the feeling and the act of going together. If he just turned 1 and you try to potty train him all you are going to do is delay the process even more.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Way to young. Buy a potty and let him explore, but he won't be ready until 2 or even 2.5.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My 16month old just sits on the potty. I don't think your child is to young to be taught. Just don't force it. Sit him on the potty for a few minutes a day. I don't expect my son to do anything. I find it cute that he likes to sit on the potty though.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Not to young to start!!!! but don't expect fast results. We started putting my son on the potty when he was 13 mo. We started with once a day and worked up. He didn't learn to keep his diaper dry but he got used to the idea of going potty. So at two when I put him in underwear he already knew how to use the potty and liked it. (I probably could have put him in underwear at 20 mo.) Just remember not to force it, always stay positve or it will back fire.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 10:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Oh, I just want to add, you never know what a child can learn unless you try to teach them.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 10:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It depends on what you mean by potty training.
    If YOU learn when he needs to go, if you discover his pattern, if you don't mind messes, if you are willing to carry him to the bathroom, take his clothes off, hold him on or over the potty until he goes - you may have some luck. But you will be training you. You will still have to actually potty train him once he is old enough to learn.
    If you want him to recognize when he has to go, stop playing, go to the potty, work his own clothes, go to the potty, redo his clothes, and go back to playing.... sorry. It will be a while.

Most kids aren't able to do all or most of these things until 24 months or later. Boys are actually closer to 30 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yea, I want my child to be a surgeon, is it too early to enroll him in graduate school?

come one lady. I feel sorry for your kid for all that he'll be rushed through because "YOU" wanted him to do this....or not do that, etc.
    Anonymous