A question about breastfeeding, something I'd never thought about before (my babies were all bf but are older now).

A mom's breastmilk changes to meet the changing needs of her baby. So when a mom tandem nurses a newborn/infant and a toddler...which baby is her milk changed to meet the needs of? Is the toddler getting milk more suited to a newborn's needs? Or is a newborn getting milk more suited to a toddler's needs? Or does the mom's body somehow get the right things for both of them in one shot? I guess I'm a little confused, lol!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• the infants breastmilk needs are met by the body adjusting to the pregnancy and birth. Often, toddlers may stop breastfeeding at this point becasue the don't like the taste, but some do. the toddler still gets the benifits of the breastmilk, but the consitency of it is for the newborn.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It's always best suited to the youngest child. It's still fine for the elder.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It turns to colostrum, and then mature milk tailor made for the newborn. As Gdiamante said, it's fine for the older child too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011