How can I get my 14 year old step son to eat veggies??

He eats lots of meats, but NO veggies. He does drink alot of milk, thank God!

DustyD.

Asked by DustyD. at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I puree veggies and sneek them into his food. It took him 2 years to figure it out. He's now 15 and 6' 2" and 220 lbs. We have a 'Don't ask don't tell' policy about his food....lol. He would rather not know what I've put in it but he eats everything I fix without complaint. I puree broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, butternut squash and spinach. He also doesn't like fruit. I puree apples, bananas, strawberries and melon.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Stir fry mixes the veggies and the meat up, maybe this will make the veggies more appealing. You can also look up dishes that involve stuffing a meat with a veggie, I love chicken stuffed with sun dried tomatoes and cheese topped with brown sugar and almonds *yum yum*. Any who keep presenting the veggies in new and exciting way and don't beat yourself up if he sticks to his guns... some guys are just like that. Look into a teen multivitamin tho, just to make sure he is getting all he needs to grow.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Make casserols that have meat and veg like shepherd pie. Sub pumpkin in place of butter in a cookie recipe, puree veg and add them to soup or stew. if you have a juicer mix friut and veggies. Does he like v-8? that's pretty much what my husband has for veggies.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 9:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Put out raw veggies with dressing as a snack. Sometimes kids will only eat them that way. It may help if he has some friends over and they all start digging in. It is worth a try.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 9:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I have also started to puree veggies into alot of things, another way to get my 15yo to eat them is melted cheese!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• This is a 14 yo we're talking about, not a toddler. If he doesn't realize vegetables are good for him, that is too damn bad for him. It is common knowledge that veggies are good for you, if you've told him, and still doesn't want them why waste your energy. I absolutely hate vegetables but I eat them because I know they are good for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I also puree veggies and hide them in food not only for the kids but for our health as well But another option is have him help prepare the meals and menu's. Alot of times it is how things are prepared and letting them give you new ideas for meals he may surprise you and turn into a chef before you eyes wanting to try new things
    jeric

Answer by jeric at 4:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• What about those V8 Splash juices that have veggie stuff in them but they are sweet like regular fruit juices? They have tropical punch and berry medley and tropical something I think.

Worth a shot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I guess you could sneek it in his food somhow there are alot of creative recipies out there. If it were me though I would say youre going to eat this. lol Also if he wont you can get him some multivitamins.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• SNEEK THEM IN, TRY DIFFERENT VARIATIONS
    GUYS ARE HARD TO GET TO EAT VEGGIES
    MAKE THEM LOOK REALLY GOOD!!! SO GOOD HE WANTS TO TRY THEM.
    PUT THEM WITH THE VEGGIES SO HE WONT PULL THEM OUT.
    PUT DICED MUSHROOMS IN THE GROUND BEEF.
    TRY 2 GET HIM TO EAT SALAD JUST SIMPLE LETTUCE SALAD.
    OR TRY MAKING VEGETABLE TEMPURA WHEN U HAVE ASIAN FOOD NIGHT.
    HAVE HIM TRY PORTABELLO MUSHROOMS, THEYRE MORE MEATY.
    ALSO EGGPLANT PARMASEAN FEATURES THE VEGGIE BUT ITS COVERED IN SAUCE AND CHEESE SO IT DOESNT SEEM LIKE A VEGGIE.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008