Help with my 3 year old sleeping in her room!

My daughter has not been sleeping in her room since he sister was born almost 7 months ago! She says she scared and I just cannot handle it anymore. They both are supposed to share the same room but only my youngest sleeps in there. I have fought with wanting to just let her cry to sleep but I know she will scream and wake my youngest daughter up so I just let her sleep on the floor in my room. Problem is she comes out 100 times and after laying down at 8pm she finally falls asleep around 10pm or later. Well we are moving into a bigger house in 2 weeks and both girls will have their own room. I need some advice about how to get her to sleep in her room without being scared of monsters and screaming.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would let her help pick out the bedding for her room and the paint colors. I would aks her what things bother her at night and why she is afraid. Then when she goes to bed I would have a routine. I would probably read her a book and then I would make up a little song telling the monsters to stay away. I would check the closet and under the bed letting them know that if they bother her you are going to get them. You could also make some monster dust "use glitter or something like that." I would have her help you make it and then you can have it in a jar in her room.

The key is to figure out whay she is afraid and then make it so those things aren't scary.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Once you are in the bigger place, start a set routine - bath time (try using lavender scented products), reading, and then lay down with her for a few minutes rubbing her back til she's asleep in her own bed and then quietly sneak out. The trick is the routine though.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I wish I had an answer for you but our 3 year old sleeps in our room too... I finally put a big beanbag on the floor and make her sleep there thinking eventually she'll get sick of it and want her bed :)
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I like the glitter idea- like maybe you get the glitter and make it into a special fairy protection dust that will ward off anything she doesn't want in her room. I wouldn't make anything monster dust, just try to avoid that word altogether because you don't want to reinforce it at all. Instead focus on the positive, as in "this fairy dust keeps out anything you don't want in your room, all you have to do is sprinkle a bit out before you go to bed" or maybe get her a dream catcher to hang by her bed to keep her safe at night, etc. Could you get a baby monitor to put in her room so she knows you can hear her if she needs you? The other thing that might help is to come up with some sort of reward, a new toy or doll, for sleeping in her own bed every night for a week. Then if she does it and tries to revert after she gets her prize at least you know she can do it and you won't feel so bad insisting that she sleep in there. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011