Trying to quit smoking, and having an intense craving right now. help!!!

i havent lit up since 1:30 in the afternoon yesterday. it is now almost 10:30 am here. not too much longer and it will have been a full 24 hours (and cant honestly say when/if ive ever gone that long aside from my pregnancies) anyway this morning i got through my usual routine pretty easily. im used to making my coffee and going right outside for a smoke. but i just had my coffee and went about the rest of my routine without a cigarette and it was much easier than expected. however after i ate breakfast i started craving one. so i tried to curb it by folding and putting away 2 loads of laundry and starting 2 more. ive dusted & vacuumed the living room, gave the girls a snack, cleaned the kitchen. my girls are going for a nap in half an hour so i was going to save the trip to the park for afterward. i have literally ran out of things to do to curb this craving!!! i keep reminding myself the health benefits of continued cessation.. and it works momentarily.. but my mind keeps reverting back to the image of me sitting on the porch with a cigarette in hand! btw, were out of cigs anyway but nothing is stopping me from buying more. ahhh its soo hard to quit cold turkey!!!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Health

• consider the patch (they come in generic and work well!) , drink water, have a piece of candy, exercise. Write reasons you dont want to smoke, Example: I DONT want CANCER! Save Money! SMELL GOOD! Join quitnet.com its free and very helpful. Rememberthe cravings will go away and the health benefits are here to stay. YOu can do it!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Are you using anything to replace the nicotine? I used the Commit lozenges and they helped tremendously. Because they took the edge off the physical craving, I was able to focus on dealing with breaking my psychological dependence on them. I don't know that I could have quit without them.
    If you're going it cold-turkey, then you're just going to have to hold on tight and just NOT CAVE IN. Also, you might need to lay off on the normal triggers for smoking...I had to give up coffee for a while because I soooooo enjoyed my coffee and a smoke (outside of course!). I switched to Diet Coke for a while.
    Do you exercise? Regular, vigorous exercise has been key for me staying smoke-free for almost 4 years now :-) Good luck, feel free to PM me if you need any additional support!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I didn't even read it all... but don't do it! You have already made it this far... I can't go a couple hours. Once you make it through the first day you are almost there. Good luck! Get some gum and candy, that will help with the hand to mouth habit.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• you could try getting some delicious fruit flavored gum to chew when you get cravings. i had a friend who sucked on ice chips and it worked for her.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• good luckHave you tried yoga or mediitation, just anything that will keep your mind off the cravings. Never smoked, but I can imagine what it must be. GL.

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• get some nicotine patches! They are GREAT!! You'll still feel "lost" but the craving won't be there. I'm a recent quitter as well. I've fallen off my patch so to speak a couple of time but I'm going good now!! It's been a few months and I still find my "lost" moments here and there.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Don't do it!  Chew some gum.   Trust me, it helps.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I had a lot of trouble quitting myself, but the one thing that did it for me is i saw this piece on tv about some woman who had a baby the same age as mine, and she didnt make it to see the kid be a year old.. that was motivation enough for me, my child, having a mother... maybe you can find something like that to motivate you.
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 10:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• btw, i keep having these random moments of feeling "lost" without cigarettes. almost like i miss them in a way? the moments dont last long as i try to avert my mind to something else. but ive been a smoker for about 8-9 years and a heavy smoker for about a year. it is my comfort object sometimes especially when dealing with stress. im so not used to not smoking them, so i can only imagine the feeling of being lost without them is somewhat normal for the first few days?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• ooo the candy is a good idea! my 4 year old has a ton of candy from relatives for valentines day.. think i might steal a few skittles from her since theyre chewy like gum and i dont have any gum. thank you!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Feb. 14, 2011