Inconceivable, Could You Give the Baby up After 9 Months?

The baby wasn't theirs and after carring it for 9 months the couple gave it to the biological parents could you? Wow, I must say what a heartache for a couple to go thru, but I commend them on what they have done. May they be truly blessed in their life for giving such a precious gift to another couple after carrying it in her body. Glad I was never deal that hand to deal with.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• As hard as it would be I think if the child was this young and her bio parents wanted her back I would give her back. To me I would want to do what is best for the baby and a huge legal battle would not be best. I do think as children get older these sort of things need to be worked out better because if a child is 2 or 3 they understand what is going on and they should not just be taken from the parents that have raised them because the bio parents want the children back. I also guess it depends on if they are foster parents or not because foster parents know that the children might leave at some point.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• it sounds like you are talking about surrogacy? That's a wonderful gift a woman can give another. Some women's body's cannot physically carry a child, so why should they not get the chance to have their own baby if they have a willing surrogate? I admire women who help other women, especially with something so special.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If you mean surrogacy, then the child was always that of the intended parents. It's an amazing, selfless gift a woman can give to a family who is unable to carry their own biological child.

I know a woman who is about to deliver her second surrogate child--for a same-sex couple. I think it's fantastic that she is giving them the gift of parenthood.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 12:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If my gay friends asked me to carry their baby for them I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not saying it would be easy, but aren't the most important decisions in life the hard ones?
    Mteel33

Answer by Mteel33 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There was a story a few years ago about a woman that was going through IVF and the fertility center put the WRONG embryo in her. I would be suing the clinic first of all but, they could not have kept the child they had talked to an attorney and the atty told them they really had no rights to the baby even though they were the legal parents. The bio parents do send pictures and updates though. It is sad all around for everyone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No, impossible for me.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think it would depend on the situation. Chances are it would completely kill me, but if it were what I felt was best for the child, I can't say I wouldn't do it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I couldn't handle it mentally. If I thought I could, I'd consider doing it for another couple, but I just know I'd be too attached. However, I think it's wonderful for those who can. What a wonderful gift to give someone!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• that would be a heart wrench
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Do you mean caring or carrying?
    If I had adopted the baby and taken care of it for the first 9 months of its life I don't think I could just hand the child back.
    If I had been carrying the baby I am not sure what I would do. I think I would have spent that 9 months reminding myself that the baby was not going to be mine and preparing myself to hand the child over. I give surrogate mothers a lot of respect because I don't know if I could be that selfless to carry a baby for some one else.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2011