How to help a 3 year old breathe when sick

He will NOT blow his nose.. we've tried many things to get him to blow his nose to the point where now he refuses.. so he has a cold now and night time is of course the worst. We have vicks on his chest and under his nose, have his humidifier on and a vapor bath before bed... the last 2 nights he wakes up at 11 and stays up til 3 because he can't blow his nose and its the dry ones that are stuck up there - so after fighting and fits.. I put sinus spray mist up his nose and try to suck them out with the booger sucker.. but nothing is working.. each night he has been up from 11 to 3 and last night he woke up again at 3am and never went back to bed....I need mommy old wives tales tips please..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• ok sounds like you have tryed everything and I know how fustrating this can be. Mine has asthma and breathing is always a concern for me. Have you tryed steam ( put him in the bathroom and run hot water and fill the bathroom up with steam and let hime set in there for a little while and see if it will help ) or one other thing is if he likes to swim leet him swim in the bathtub you know what happens when you swim your nose always clears out. Other then that try saline nose spray you can use it more often and it will help to wet the inside of his nose and maybe get theme to run out. Good luck
    3girls2goats

Answer by 3girls2goats at 11:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011