Do you feel teachers are under paid? Explain?

avilio54

Asked by avilio54 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in

• Very underpaid. I taught and I can't tell you how many hours go into lesson planning, grading papers, etc. Teachers work much more than the hours they spend at school. And the attitudes they have to put up with from some students - parents should be ashamed!

Answer by missanc at 11:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I can relate to this ! Good answer and I bet you were an excellent TEACHER!! KIDO to you!
    avilio54

Comment by avilio54 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yeah, they are. Sure they make a decent wage, but when you break down how many hours they actually spend on lesson planning, grading, writing report cards, etc, beyond the classroom hours ... it's not that much. Plus they spend a lot of their own money, out of pocket, on supplies, books, resources, etc for the classrooms, for our kids. Too many people look at the wage and break it down as a 9:00 to 3:30, M - F thing, and teachers work so much more than that. All the teachers I know are doing school related work on evenings and weekends and are in the school throughout the summer, not to mention those who volunteer time coaching/supervising extra curricular activites.

All that without even getting into the attitudes not only from the kids, but the parents, whose little Johnny or Susie should be getting better grades and of course would never have a discipline/behaviour issue!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Excellent ANSWER!!!!!!!!!
    avilio54

Comment by avilio54 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, I think they are. Teachers spend a lot of their own time doing lesson plans, etc that they don't get paid for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• some would say yes due to the out of school hours
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes. There is a lot of OUTSIDE work involved in our profession (we are not just working school hours), not to mention the level of stress involved at times too. With distircts having no money, we spend a LOT of our OWN money on classroom supplies. That $250 deduction at tax time is NOTHING, believe me. I love my work, but do with I was compensated a little better for all I do. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• districts***
    Anonymous

• I know this isn't going to be popular but I don't think the teachers in our district are underpaid. They make some of the highest salaries in the area.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2011