How would you handle this?

How would you tell your children that not everyone is going to be their friend no matter how much they try?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depending on their age, Those exact words!
    You can explain that people are different on the inside just like the outside...Sometimes your not going to agree and like the same things and sometimes people don't always like each other...
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• This is a hard one and unfortunately as parents we have to deal with such issues. I explain this to both my boys ages 13 and 5 all the time, you cannot make anyone like you and you shouldn't bother trying. Be who you are, be respectful and courteous, and the right people will come into your life. The wrong will come as well, but you have to kinda guide children toward discerning right from wrong, even with friends!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Well my kiddos are still very little (5 and 3) so we haven't had that problem yet. We will cross that bridge when we get to it and I'm sure I will come to cafemom for advice.

Good luck to you :)
    momofJayleeM

Answer by momofJayleeM at 1:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Honesty is the best approach. Don't make excuses or try to explain. Unfortunately, this is one of those hard things to teach our children, because we don't like to watch them struggle.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It is a fact that hurts them when they are younger. What they don't understand yet is that alot of times the ones they are trying to befriend aren't actually capable of being a good friend. What I would suggest is to continue to get them involved in activities that they like. They will meet new kids with similar interst and it usually helps to find new and greater friendships.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011