How do you explain?

To a 3 and a half year old that their pet has passed on and they will no longer see them?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just explain that death is a part of life and that it is OK to feel sad. More importantly, be prepared to address his/her fears about himself/you/other loved ones dying.

You need to be clear on what you feel. With our son, I have assured him that as none of us are sick or old, we'll be around for a long time. I've also told him that I really believe that death is not the end of you, that we can't understand what things will be like but that you somehow stay connected to the people and animals you've loved forever.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My kids are familiar with The Chronicles of Narnia. That is their concept of death and we let them think the same of animals as of humans. (After all, I'm not sure it isn't so.) So, they have an understanding that when you die, you go to another world. Your life here is over and you don't come back from the other world. It isn't a trip, it is a permanent move. My 4 year old has grabbed hold of the idea of Saints taking care of animals and babies in the other world. Of course, this will only help understand the concept of death from a Christian perspective. I try to answer their questions as honestly as I can. (Will Snowbell come back? No. Will Saint Francis care for Snowbell? Perhaps.) When it is something I cannot answer, I let them know I don't know and ask them what they think about it.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i agree with the other ladiesmy 3yr dd is ok with death she has lost great grandparents, grandpa, cats and fish dont be surprized if they talk and ask about what happened for a few months then come back to it after 4-5 months
    Ladyrosa

Answer by Ladyrosa at 12:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Explain that the pet is dead and you can not bring them back but you can help them make a grave for the pet. That every living thing dies one day but when they pass on, their body goes into the ground and gives plants food to grow. A soul impacts other souls and lives on in the hearts of others. Their pet will live on in their memories and their hearts. Let them know that it's okay to be sad but that it's not the end of the world and your lives will keep going.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011