Why are some parents against their children watching Spongebob?

zebbiebug

Asked by zebbiebug at 10:50 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know. I view SB as a character who loves his job, has a great work ethic at that that job, is loyal to his friends, and just likes to goof off here and there. hehe
    As for the "name calling," lol that's nothing compared to what can go on at SCHOOL. My DD knows she is NOT ALLOWED to say "stupid," and knows that SB is a PRETEND SHOW, and that some of his behavior is okay to laugh at on TV, but not copy in the real world. We're SB fans here. My kid's room is all SB too. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He is rude and it teaches kids that it's funny to be rude. On a deeper level that kids aren't aware of but I am, he is a sponge in bikini bottom (am i not suppose to think of him as a maxi pad) and his friend the crab also lives in bikini bottom (really?) There is a pervert somewhere producing this.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 10:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• its stupid. my kids dont watch any cartoons like it either.
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• A lot of it has to do with that way they talk to each other. There is a lot of name calling
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• becasue they find the language offensive.

We love spongebob! My son knows the difference between fantasy cartoons and respect in real life. We've never had a problem. My son gets all A'a in the "social" area's of school, and the teachers rave about how polite and kind he is. My freind doesn't let her 3 kids watch spongebob, and they are rude, bratty kids that get kicked out of daycare and school constantly for their dirty mouths, disrespect, and sassy baketalk. she only lets them watch "wholesome" cartoons, lol.

i'm not sure how you can relate a sponge to a maxi pad? lol. And crabs live in the ocean. But his freind is a starfish. I think adding Sandy the squirl from Texas is too funny!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There is a lot of adult content and it's a pretty rude show.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't like the way they talk to one another - it's rude and kids pick up on that language.

Answer by missanc at 11:03 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• baketalk...Backtalk!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Is it not the parent's job to teach their children the difference between good and bad language or behavior? Are you worried your child can not differentiate  between cartoons and real life?

zebbiebug

Comment by zebbiebug (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• it's so rude...the name calling is terrible & it shows this blue guy being a bully doesn't it?
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2011