Looking for home schooling moms.....I am about to jump into it

I am so fed up with the ignorant fools they have pulled straight out of college to 'educate' my child. The frat girl teachers in our area have a tendancy to coddle the cute kids and have now started picking on my daughter. I have already been to the principal and the superintendant of the school district to no avail...as a matter of fact I think it has made it worse. So.......I am SERIOUSLY considering doing this and would like to have some feed back from moms who have. She is in 4th grade and in 3rd grade received a commended performance medal for her Language Arts state testing scores. Yet due to the teacher this year in Language Arts, she has a low B average in that class. (all others are 96 and above).

Where do I even start? How do I take her out of the school? What curriculum do you use and what kind of schedules have you found that work for you?

HELP!!

-kelli-

Asked by -kelli- at 9:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• My sil pulled her fifth grade daughter out last year at this time. Like you, she didn't know where to start. She looked into and did a cyber school with our state, a public school only online. That worked well for her to start. This year she is homeschool three of her children the more traditional way since she had the summer to work things out.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• No idea what state you're in, looked at your profile but it didn't say. Go ahead and google "(your state's) homeschool laws". That will give you a starting point since every state handles homeschooling differently.

I homeschool my kids but I create my own curriculum according to state standards...which doesn't make a difference anyways since my kids are above where they should be. When you google the laws in your state, it will tell you whether or not you need to do yearly testing, report attendance, or what-not.

If you have any more questions, you should go visit the Happy Homeschooler's group here on CafeMom. The ladies in there are GREAT support and are always there to answer questions!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I pulled my daughter out just before 2nd grade. Pm me if you have questions.
    The other ladies told you to go to your states homeschooling laws. That is the correct first step. We can help with the rest. Do not expect much support from family and friends at first.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I highly advise homeschooling. Would you care to share what state you are in with us?
    By the way, you will have hate mail and a lot of people think they know everything trying to discourage you, but do what you want....no reason to listen to them. Homeschooling is acceptable and in general, a safer environment for your child. The public schools today cannot and will not protect them from being shot, injured, abused, etc.
    Anonymous

• I am in Texas...anyone else? :o)! Thanks ladies, I need all the info I can get right now.
    -kelli-

Answer by -kelli- at 11:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Looks like it's about the same as here in Illinois. Here's another link...this website has been so helpful to me in the past!

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blTX.htm

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2008