Do you allow your children to drink Kool-Aide? Why or why not?

zebbiebug

Asked by zebbiebug at 10:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I will allow it, but i don't buy it and ds doesn't ask for it. He doesn't like it, or juice. He'd rather have water. Funny, when we go to a birthday party or something and they serve it, he'll ask for water.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no, i hated it as a kid and always thought it was nasty, it tasted like sugar water to me. not that i have anything against it its just not something i keep in the house. they only drink 100% juice, milk and water with the occasional glass of hawaiian punch.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• my kids dont like kool aid they would rather drink apple juice
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 10:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no. for so many years my kids did though, i made a pitcher at least every day or every other day. My friends would say "my god, as much as they drink, how could you?" i was like "its mostly water!" but now ive seen their point, my kids have a bit of a wieght problem and im trying to fix it. Its not 1 child but 3 kids!! its not all on kool-aid, so dont go jumping on me...kool-aid was only part of it so if i want them to eat healthier, why would i give them koo-aid? so i tried a new thing and switched to those sugar free juice containers like crytal light.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Once in while, but it's not something we keep in the house.

Answer by missanc at 11:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Nah. It's just flavored sugar water with no nutritional value. That's not to say my kids haven't had it, but it's not their first choice in beverages, and it's not something I keep in the house.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:09 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We don't buy koolaid. I just can't see filling them up with all that sugar and artificial crap. I don't freak out if they drink it somewhere else. Once in a while it won't damage them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• every once in a while, but when at home they mostly drink water.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Not much, my DH loves it though. I water it down alot if I give it to DS. We have absolutely no carbonated beverages though. It just juice, kool-aide, and tea. All of it is watered down.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't "not allow" it, I just don't ever make it. I make sugar free lemonade in the summer (which is basically the same thing) but they are usually limited to 1 small cup a day. I haven't made kool-aid in forever (at least not since my almost 5yo was born). Mostly because if it's in there all they do is whine all day that they want it which annoys me so I just don't make it.
    I don't have anything against it as a treat just like cakes, cookies, juice, ice cream and candy in our house. Once in awhile won't hurt the kids and it's yummy.
    I used to drink it all the time when I was a kid...back before they had the sugar free options, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2011