How could you prove this?

I read a question posted about someone being married when they were young and thinking it wasn't legal. They said that they were under age and the spouse was an illegal immigrant. THey said that they just found out it was legal and now they want to report the marriage to food stamp office. I was just wondering if this is still a form of fraud? I mean how on earth can you prove that you did not know that you were married?

JessiSosa

Asked by JessiSosa at 10:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• It could depend on how old they were, where they got married at, and what the state laws are. Also, some states don't recognize certain types of marriages. An example of this would be I believe that Iowa doesn't recognize proxy marriages. There could be a number of reasons why they truly believed that they were not married. Once they discovered that they are married and they report it right away, then no I don't think it is fraud. Now, if they found out and didn't report it, then yes, it would be fraud.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• She didn't have the paperwork. And even if she did if something was wrong with the paperwork, then the marriage might not be legal.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• That's crazy! If she is underage and he is an illegal then something is wrong there. They were obviously getting married for the wrong reasons anyway so they knew what they were doing in the first place.
    momofJayleeM

Answer by momofJayleeM at 1:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011