packing a bag for the hospital...

I'm lost! people are telling me "its never too early to be ready" so pack a bag so you'll be ready for the hospital.
So I need an advice, what do I pack???? I know I'm gonna need an outfit for baby, what else?
And do i need to wash new baby clothes before using it?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Most people say pack what you would use to get ready for 2-3 days. However, I found that the only things i used in my hospital bag were my toothbrush, toothpaste and one change of clothes. I also packed a few outfits for the baby, a blanket, and a cell phone charger.
    Although I packed a personal supply of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash, I ended up using what they provided at the hospital. You will not need a huge supply of underwear- they have special ones for you to use in the hospital... you'll soon know what I mean:) Good Luck!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yep i agree with bloomsr! You really dont need to pack like you are going away for a couple days... All I had was 1 outfit for my baby because they actually put a onsie on them after they have thier first bath with the nurse. My toothbrush and paste. Comfy socks and a change of clothes. maybe some makeup and of course a hairbrush. I did bring underwear but not alot. because they do have you in some with the ice pack diaper. lol! you will see! a blanky for the baby. And well thats about it. I also just used the hospitals shampoo and soap. dont forget the camera!!! and extra film and or batteries!
    Anonymous

• I toke all of the above plus a deck of cards, phone book, calling card, a book, my handmade hosiptal gown, nursing nightgown (makes it so much easier), and a few snacks.
    anyoke

Answer by anyoke at 9:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes, don't forget the camera!!! I way over packed. I could not believe how much the hospital suplyed. And you might as wall use it, you are paying for it. I brought stuff to do (like magazines) didn't need it, I slept or was just plain out of it most of my stay. If you have long hair bring something to pull your hair back.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 9:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would suggest washing baby cloths before putting on baby, unless if it is something you just got and are going to just have it on for the baby's first photo. I packed me an outfit for home, a robe, slippers,and my own shampoo, soap, and oral healthcare needs. I also packed my cell phone and charger, a camera with extra batteries. I made sure to have my boppy since I was breastfeeding and an extra pillow (hospital pillows in my opinion suck). I then pack the baby a cap, blanket, booties, and a special take home outfit. Little extras is change for soda machine, magazine or book. I made sure to pick in a slightly larger bag, you may get gifts to take home and you will get samples and goodies at the hospital for baby. One thing my hospital does not use is baby wipes, they use this other things you have to wet yourself. So I make sure to have my own unscented baby wipes.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• A nursing bra, if nursing, Under garments. a few baby outfits. Deordant, socks, a confortable outfit for' yourself afterwards. a warm blanket for baby. Dont forget your Camera!
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i packed one out fit for the baby clothing for me but yes you are more in the hopital gound then your clothing lol untill you leave thats when i put on my clothing i brought with but yes bring toothpast and hygine products is a must you do you that more lol
    101008

Answer by 101008 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• yes and camera is a must>>>>>>
    101008

Answer by 101008 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I washed anything of my baby's that was fabric before he was born.

A really easy way to get ready without living out of a suitcase: put whatever things you don't need on a daily (or weekly basis) into your bag, then make a list of the other things you'll want but can't pack yet. Leave it on top of your bag so you (or whoever's with you) can grab them without frantically running around trying to remember everything.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008