Do You Valentine Your Child?

Every year I buy each of my children a small valentine--something under $5. I have been doing it since my oldest was 1 year old. I think it makes the kids feel like part of the family love. Mom gets something from dad to say "he loves her" and Dad gets something from mom...well the kids are the biggest proof of our love and I believe they should be aware of that.

So do you Valentine your child or do you think it is unnecessary spoiling?

Yozhick

Asked by Yozhick at 11:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• I absolutely get my children and grandchildren something every year. I dont think it is spoiling at all. It is a holiday and at school they usually celebrate it anyway. I do a little more then $5 most years. I try and get them something they want like a small toy or whatever, then candy, and the girls get flowers.

Answer by gemgem at 11:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My child got a Blu-Ray dvd and some chocolate from his Dad and I.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• in DS 1 lunch I put a card and Valentine cookie
    little ones are enjoying Hot Chocolate with lunch and will get a cookie later
    chocolate treats after dinner
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• this year i didnt buy them anything, but my 4 and 2 year old and i baked a "love cake" as we affectionately called it and my 1 year old got a taste or two of it so everybody was included. we gave some of it to my mom & dad and also pretended it was the kids' gift to us.

i dont see anything wrong with giving your children valentines gifts. after all, to me, its about showing love to your favorite, most admired people, not just your spouse.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I get them something little. My Daddy died before Easter the year I was 7 - the last present I have from him is a stuffed dog with a little red felt heart on it that he got me for Valentine's. He died unexpectedly, so it was a complete surprise and I'm so glad I have that last present from him - I've kept it all my life! I take every chance to get my kids presents from the heart.

Answer by missanc at 11:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My kids get cards and then I make their favorite dinners. It is something I have done since they were little and now that they are older they really appreciate it because it is the only day that I say, "Whatever you want. I will make 3 different meals if you all want something different." Then I make a special dessert and we all ahve a candle light dinner together. DH and I don't really get each other gifts so to us this is how we show each other that we love each other.

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing something special for your childre for Valentine's Day. You are right that they are the best proof of my love for my husband.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I got them each a bunch of candy and a 2 small gifts. i drew a picture of each child doing what they love. I placed it all on the kitchen table last night. So when we came down this morning it was a nice surprise.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We always buy them a mylar balloon each and a small box of candy. Never spend more than $5...but they have a great time playing with the balloons.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• This is my first child's first Valentine's Day. I did get her a gift, and she wrote on cards and handed them out. In my family. We all buy something for everyone. Usually roses for the adult women and something small for the men. The kids (14 & under) get gift bags with small knick knacks in them.
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 11:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We will have heart shaped cookies and family movie night tonight.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 11:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2011