What do you do if you can't get your 16yr son to go to school?

I can not get my 16 son to get up and go to school. I have tried everything.

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 11:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh lord I feel your pain. My oldest is Bi-polar and I lost a couple jobs due to be constantly late because of DD and her not getting up.

Do this........call the school and have them send a truancy officer out to your house. Ground your son until he starts getting up. Take tv, stereo and computer out of his room until he is more responsible. Treat him like he is 12 as this is how he's acting. ............In some cities parents are fined when the kids dont go to school. Tell your son you are going to do whatever you need to do to make sure he goes to school and you dont get fined.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I would look at the reason why he doesn't want to go to school. If it is pure laziness then I would do what Alicia says and pour ice water over him. If it is because of frustration/difficulties from school or he is getting bullied then I would look at alternative high schools or other solutions.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• pour ice cold water on him and tell him to get his ass up and go to school .
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 11:57 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Trouble getting up, or trouble going to school period?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When I had a hard time getting up, this is what my dad did. He would take marbles that had been kept in the freezer and throw them under the covers! You don't have the mess from water and if you try to roll away from them, they roll with you! I only had to have this done once! After that, all dad would have to say is allright, I'm getting the marbles! I jumped out of bed real fast!
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think by trying everything and never giving up you will eventually persuade him to go to school. So just keep on trying. One thing you have to make him realize in one way or another, is the value of education. Show him those people who are at present reaping the benefits of education, and moreso the ones who are suffering the consequences of being stubborn not to go to school.
    visa31927

Answer by visa31927 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Last year when my ASD son refused to get out of bed and go to school, and of course had a hell of a meltdown-- his special needs teacher told me that if it happened again I could call the school and they would send someone to collect him. For your son it sounds like you have tried everything and are not getting the support or help that you need from the school or truancy officers. I am surprised that they won't do anything. Have you tried the police or the juvenile detention office? It may be time to do some tough love and tell him if he does not shape up and start going to school and following your rules, he will be put out of the house and taken to Juvie.
    Anonymous

• I'll be blunt...it sounds like bad parenting IMO. Going to school was NEVER an option for my children....they went, PERIOD. I would have drug them out of bed, taken them to school in whatever they were wearing if they wouldn't get dressed and if I had to I would have walked them to every single class. I wouldn't have allowed them to leave at 2p if they couldn't find their shoes all day....they would have gone to school barefoot if need be. Your son needs counseling, you need counseling and parenting classes and your son needs to be restricted from everything until he starts to behave and follow the rules.
    Anonymous

• The rules in my house are my kids either have to go to school, or get a full time job. If he doesn't want to go to school, make him get a job and start paying for room and board. Once he realizes how little money he has to go out and have fun, it will get old quick.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He has trouble getting up in the morning, or he doesn't go at all?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2011