Getting my daughter to drink water?

she just wont! she throws her cup and yells "chocolate" she loves ovaltine. any ideas?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 12:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Quit giving her ovaltine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If it is her only option she will eventually pick the cup up and drink the water.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 12:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• my dd love water. but I also haven't introduced her to any candy or soda's yet. she is 16months. so she really doesn't know the difference.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Mix in a little juice.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• do half juice and half water for a while. That's what i did and now both my kids get their own water bottles out on the closet when evr they are thirsty and drink it with no issues. They are 3 and 19 months.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• my 2 year old prefers milk or juice over water too, but she still needs water during the day. i give it to her with one of her snacks. the other snacks or meals that she has milk or juice with, drinks it all and is still thirsty, her cup gets refilled with water. she does protest but also knows mommy wont give in and eventually drinks it if she is thirsty enough.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• let her drink it at the table from a "big girl" cup, like you do. or just start putting hardly any ovaltine in her milk. that way it is just a bit. ovaltine wont her her, and milk is good for kids to drink. if you want her to start drinking more water, just say that is all you have. i also would add maybe 2 oz of orange juice to 6 oz of water. to give it some flavor.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I agree with mixing in the juice. Also,My kids never drank much water until we got the water cooler. They thought it was so much fun. I have a friend that has a water dispenser in the refrigerator, and they have the tap water with the flavors. I think anything to make it special and different.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My daughter loves chocolate milk too. I try to alternate between meals.I'll give her to her in the morning and then give her water the rest of the day.
    warriormom1999

Answer by warriormom1999 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No more ovaltine.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011