If someone has cancer and doesn't know it.......

...and gives blood, can the recipient of the blood get the cancer?

charlottej

Asked by charlottej at 12:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Health

• They test 10% of the blood donated, so they say.

I met a woman 7 years ago, she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She swears it was from the transfusion she had 2 yrs earlier. She ate right, never smoked, didnt drink and ran. She was in a car accident and the Dr said to do an xray just in case, that is when they told her she was in stage 3 lung cancer.

Although the vote is split on wether you can get cancer from blood, I would say it is very posible. If you know you are having an operation, bank your own blood prior.

Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• They test the blood before it is donated. So if a donor has blood, the blood bank will test it before giving it to someone.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't think so. I think they do tests and such on donated blood before they ok it for use.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• BTW no even if they didnt test it they cant get cancer. The person getting the blood body will fight off the cells. A person with cancer body doesnt fight off the cells, thats why they have cancer and get treatment, the treatment helps fight off the bad cells for the cancer patient
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• ok, but they don't test the blood for cancer, do they? Is there such a test? And if the cancer body is "compromised" in some way so that it doesn't fight off the cancer cells, then wouldn't someone who is sick and needing blood ALSO be immune suppressed? I was just curious about this. Some cancers are viral.
    charlottej

Comment by charlottej (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2011