Professional reaction?

I was hired at a small paper a few months ago. I work from home for the most part save a few community meetings and a staff meeting each month. When I was hired I was told that the company is very family oriented and if there was ever a problem getting to a meeting to let my boss know and it'd be taken care of.

I had a staff mtg scheduled for today but because my DH carpool fell through he had to take the car so I was unable to get to my meeting. Mind you this is a staff meeting, this isn't even one of the community meetings that I attend to find stories. Here we just we sit around and dish out our story ideas, it's usually an hour.

I emailed my boss (her preferred form of communication) yesterday as soon as I found out. She sent me an extremely harsh email in response saying that this is the only time she'd let me get away with that excuse and that when I was hired I assured her I could attend the meetings. This is the second email from her this week that was rude.

What happened to family company? This is the ONLY time I have missed a meeting. I make 100 bucks a month doing this. I'm tempted to quit. I don't want to work for someone who's going to bite my head off all the time.

What's the professional way to respond to this?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 12:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• If I wanted to keep my job I'd assure her that this particular issue would not arise again. Regardless of your salary, you accepted a job and they need it done.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Emergencies do arise, even for people without families. If your boss has suddenly taken a different tone with you, I suggest that you request a private meeting with her. Find out what her issue is. If it really is expecting 100% attendance at all company functions, you might suggest that expectation is a bit unrealistic. Point out your good track record of not missing meetings and reassure her that you are committed to your position. Ask her if she has specific concerns regarding your performance and if her abrupt tone in e-mails is an indication that you are not living up to her expectations.

It sounds like she's unhappy with more than just your missing that one meeting. It could be that she's upset about things not even related to you and doesn't realize that she's taking it out on you. Talk to her and get to the bottom of it. Bosses are people, too.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I can't stand to work for someone who is like that. If, u really like the job stick it out otherwise, I would think about leaving. If, u decide to stay just, tell her it won't happen again.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 12:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Even the most understanding boss/company can be unreasonable over a seemingly small issue. Meetings mean face time, which is critical for someone like you, and attending one for one-hour is a small, but important requirement. Working from one's home is seen as a rather generous benefit, so coming in occasionally is something you need to make a priority. Have a Plan B if this happens again, and assure your boss that this was an isolated incident. It's a lot of grief for $100 a month (you can make more babysitting!), but if this job matters to you, this is what you have to do to remain in good standing.
    reveala

Answer by reveala at 12:35 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You make $100 a month. If you are spending more than 14 hours a month on this job you are making less than minimum wage. What does gas cost in your neighborhood? Ask her point blank if she wants you to stay on. This isn't a job it is a hobby. If it isn't fun, quit. BTW you could have called into that meeting and gotten 90% of it over the phone.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Sorry for you,i suppose she has never missed a meeting??I quit a health dept job over stuff like that.Its the crooked place to work unless you are a snitch for the boss's.Had a bad time here .I know all health dept. are not this way,but all the ones here are,The dhs stole Christmas presents from foster kids,returned them for the money and spent on themselves.Its sad.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I would ask to be included in the meeting via speaker phone

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2011